Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pintlala in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Federal Road / Manac's Tavern

 
 
The Federal Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 31, 2014
1. The Federal Road Marker
Inscription.
Side 1
The Federal Road

The 1803 Louisiana Purchase acquired 828,000 sq. mi. for the U.S., doubling its size. The Federal Road was built to provide a shorter route from Washington to New Orleans and the new territory. The Treaty of 1805 with the Creeks authorized traversing their lands. Entering Alabama at Ft. Mitchell near Columbus, GA, it came through Mt. Meigs, to Pintlala, Ft. Deposit, Burnt Corn, Ft. Stoddert, then Mobile. The 1814 Treaty of Ft. Jackson made much fertile Creek land available to grow cotton; this lure, “Alabama Fever,” drew many thousands of settlers to central Alabama. In 1860, spans were still in use, but the Road was gone.

Side 2
Manac's Tavern

Manacís Tavern, located near here and nearby Pinchona Creek, was the oldest stand on the Federal Road. Samuel Manac, the proprietor, in 1701 went with Alexander McGillivray to the U.S. capitol in NYC and met George Washington to conclude a peace treaty for the Creek Nation, the U.S.ís first treaty with a foreign power. He married Red Eagleís sister, Elizabeth. Aaron Burr stayed here in 1807. In 1822 Samís son, David Moniac, became the first Indian and first Alabamian to graduate from West Point . In 1836, in the Second Seminole War, Maj. Moniac was killed at Wahoo Swamp leading a unit
Manac's Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 31, 2014
2. Manac's Tavern Marker
of Creek militia against the braves of Osceola, who was his wifeís cousin.
 
Erected 1997 by the Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce Historical Preservation and Promotion Foundation & the Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location. 32° 10.592′ N, 86° 23.21′ W. Marker is in Pintlala, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Federal Road and Cloverfield Road (County Route 24), on the right when traveling south on Federal Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 399 Federal Road, Hope Hull AL 36043, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pintlala School (approx. 0.9 miles away); Pintlala Grange Hall / Grange Hall School (approx. one mile away); Federal Road, 1805, (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Bethel Cemetery (approx. 1.5 miles away); Tankersley Rosenwald School (approx. 3 miles away); Abner McGehee / Early Alabama Entrepreneur (approx. 5.6 miles away); Teague Road (approx. 7.3 miles away); Lynching in America / Lynching in Letohatchee (approx. 7.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pintlala.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  Encyclopedia of Alabama - Federal Road in Alabama
The Federal Road / Manac's Tavern Area image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 31, 2014
3. The Federal Road / Manac's Tavern Area
. (Submitted on January 31, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Native AmericansRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
The Federal Road / Manac's Tavern Area image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 31, 2014
4. The Federal Road / Manac's Tavern Area
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 421 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on September 20, 2016.
Paid Advertisement