Wilson in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Boards, Boats, and Beaches
Present: Marinas, Camps, Pleasure Craft
Pleasure Boat Port
1999 Wilson Boathouse remodeled and New Community Center and Marina built
1990 Boat Launch and Docks Built at State Park
1980 Sport Fishing Dominates Harbor Activity
1960 Wilson-Tuscarora State Park Established.
1950 Steel and Concrete Piers Built
1950 Boathouse Restaurant Opened
1875-1920: Resorts, Hotels, Cottages. Shore erosion and flooding caused the east branch to break through to the lake around 1900.
1905 Jacob Miller improves Maple Grove Park as a cottage community
1900 Olcott Beach Hotel built
1895 July 24, Steamer 'Arguyle' made 2 round trips to Toronto.
1895 June 13, Boat lands 450 people at park
1895 June 10,First boat of the season at park with 250 people.
1894 July 16, Steamer from Toronto ties up with 900 people aboard.
1894 July 10, Charter boat from Toronto brings 700 people to picnic.
1890s Pittsburgh Hotel built.
1891 Shipping apples, peaches, grapes, grain,
1845-1875: Shipbuilding, Logging. First Piers built by Luther Wilson in 1846.
1875 The 'Trader' and the 'Plowboy' built.
1867 The 'Live Oak' built.
1866 The 'Pilot" built.
1963 The 'Meteor', 'Fleetwing', and 'Eureka' built.
1862 The 'Active' built.
1854 The 'Bell Adkins' built.
1852 The 'Josephine' built. 1850 The 'Enterprise' built. 1849 The 'Almira' and the 'Forest' built. 1848 Wilson became Port of Entry
1848 The 'Emblem' built.
1847 The 'Niagara' built.
1846 The R.F. Wilson' built.
1817 Oak logs shipped to England to build warships.
1817 'Ontario' first steamboat to visit Wilson.
The O-SO-EZE. This naptha powered boat ferried people from the mainland to the island, and also cruised the lake for short excursions.
Photo of Wilson Boathouse circa 1910.
The Pittsburgh Hotel. This was one of many hotels serving vacationers, so many from Pittsburgh that at one time Wilson was called a Pittsburgh resort.
The 'Fleetwing' was one of several schooners built here to carry passengers and freight to and from the harbor.
Maritime Heritage. Ideal Harbor Conditions are the Attraction that Sustains this Seaway Trail port.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Great Lakes Seaway Trail National Scenic Byway marker series.
Location. 43° 19.022′ N, 78° 50.041′ W. Marker is in Wilson, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is on Ontario Street, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at the terminus of Ontario Street, off NY route 18. Marker is in this post office area: Wilson NY 14172, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Port of Entry Marker and Wilson Boat House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lake Island Park, Wintergreen Island, Tugwell Island & Clark Island (approx. ¼ mile away); Park and Harbor Streets (approx. 0.3 miles away); Greenwood Veterans' Memorial Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Vietnam Memorial in Memory of 1st Lt. Michael E. Witkop (approx. 0.4 miles away); A Solemn Tribute to the Men and Women of Wilson who Served (approx. 0.4 miles away); O'Connell Island (approx. 0.4 miles away); Greenwood Cemetery (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Wilson.
More about this marker. "This exhibit made possible by a grant from FHWA to Seaway Trail, Inc. and with the
Also see . . .
1. Wilson Harbor web cam. (Submitted on January 31, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. Seaway Trail. (Submitted on January 31, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
3. Wilson-Tuscarora State Park. Includes public boat launch at end of harbor. (Submitted on January 31, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 268 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. 7. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.