LaGrange in Troup County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Court Square began a gathering spot in the center of town. People shopped at local businesses and socialized, farmers sold their crops, children played on the courthouse lawn, and merchants and their customers played checkers in front of the stores. In 1888, Fuller E. Callaway, Sr., opened Callaway’s Mammoth Department Store. The store operated until 1932. Callaway’s was known for innovative marking and advertising.
Troup County has had four Courthouse buildings. The first built in 1829 of red brick, stood in the center of what became known as the Court Square. In 1904, the county opened the next courthouse. Designed by A.J. Bryan and Company of New Orleans, this three-story structure served the county until November 5, 1936, when it burned.
Between 1924 and 1945, Troop County residents often saw Franklin D. Roosevelt drive by in his convertible. The 32nd president of the United States often visited during his stays at the Little White House in Warm Springs. Newell’s Hat Shop was a popular in-town attraction between 1931 and 1977. Women from as far away as Columbus, chartered buses to purchase the newest styles in hats from Newell’s. LaGrange city Hall opened in 1927 on Ridley Avenue and is still in use.
Black-owned business and professional offices including blue Goose Café, lined the first blocks of Vernon and Hines Street, creating thriving business districts. County and city residents alike often came to town on Saturday to shop. Other long-time businesses located around or near the Square included: Park and Colonial Hotels, Lehmann’s Jewelry, (E. Court) Mansour’s
Location. 33° 2.304′ N, 85° 1.895′ W. Marker is in LaGrange, Georgia, in Troup County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South Lafayette Square (U.S. 29) and Bull Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Next to the Chamber of Commerce. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 Bull Street, Lagrange GA 30240, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lafayette (within shouting distance of this marker); Fuller Earle Callaway, Sr. (within shouting distance of this marker); The Nancy Harts (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Michael Troup (about 700 feet away); Troup County Academy (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bellevue (approx. half a mile away); Bellevue, Home of Sen. Benjamin Harvey Hill (approx. half a mile away); Dr. Ulrich Bonnell Phillips (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in LaGrange.
Also see . . . New Georgia Encycloepdia. Counties, Cities & Neighborhoods Lagrange Ga (Submitted on February 3, 2014, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 403 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.