Oldenburg in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The majority of the settlers in this area were immigrants from Germany and Bohemia. At its height Oldenburg boasted homes, farms, and a number of businesses and institutions, including stores, saloons, a cotton gin, tin shop, doctors' office, blacksmith shop, post office, church, dance halls (festplatz), and schools.
The first school in the community was known as the German and Bohemian Oldenburg School. Founded in 1898, it was succeeded in 1922 by Oldenburg Common School District No. 5. A separate school for black students opened about 1930. By 1944, both schools were consolidated with the Fayetteville School District.
Descendants of early German and Bohemian settlers continue to reside in this vicinity.
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3838.)
Location. 29° 58.536′ N, 96° 45.97′ W. Marker is in Oldenburg, Texas, in Fayette County Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Round Top TX 78954, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Asa Hill of Rutersville (approx. 2.8 miles away); Rutersville (approx. 2.8 miles away); Rabb's Prairie (approx. 6.8 miles away); Site of Svrcek Building (approx. 7.3 miles away); Site of Svrcek Garage (approx. 7.3 miles away); Zapp Building (approx. 7.3 miles away); Wandke House (approx. 7.3 miles away); Early Texas Hotels and Inns (approx. 7.5 miles away).
Also see . . . Oldenburg, TX, article in the Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on February 3, 2014, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.