Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Bank of Potomac Building

Built 1804-07

 
 
The Bank of Potomac Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 2, 2014
1. The Bank of Potomac Building Marker
Inscription.
Here Union Governor Francis Harrison Pierpont established the “Restored Government of Virginia” and used the building as the official Governor's Residence
1863-65

This Property is protected by a preservation easement held by The Virginia Historic Landmarks Board
 
Location. 38° 48.22′ N, 77° 2.667′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is on Prince Street west of South Royal Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 415 Prince Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington's Tenement House (within shouting distance of this marker); Brigadier General Montgomery D. Corse, CSA (within shouting distance of this marker); Stabler-Leadbeater House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away); The Marshall House (about 300 feet away); John Douglass Brown House (about 400 feet away); Gazette House (about 400 feet away); "For God and Country" (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Alexandria.
 
Regarding The Bank of Potomac Building. The Restored Government of Virginia, headed by Francis Pierpont
The Bank of Potomac Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 2, 2014
2. The Bank of Potomac Building Marker
was recognized by the United States as the government of Virginia during the Civil War. Founded in Wheeling, it moved here when West Virginia became a state separate from Virginia. The Restored Government ultimately moved to Richmond.
 
Also see . . .  415 Prince Street Headquartered a Wartime Government. Alexandria Times, January 31, 2012. (Submitted on February 3, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesWar, US Civil
 
The Bank of Potomac Building image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 2, 2014
3. The Bank of Potomac Building
The Bank of Potomac Building image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 2, 2014
4. The Bank of Potomac Building
415 Prince Street image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 2, 2014
5. 415 Prince Street
Aquia Sandstone Corinthian Capital image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 2, 2014
6. Aquia Sandstone Corinthian Capital
On the left front door pilaster
Francis H. Pierpont image. Click for full size.
Internet Archive
7. Francis H. Pierpont
“Governor of Virginia. 1861 to 1865, with state government at Alexandria. Provisional Governor, Appointed by President Johnson, 1865 to 1868.”
from The Soldier in our Civil War Frank Leslie et al., 1893
Early Building Survey No. 68S415 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 2, 2014
8. Early Building Survey No. 68S415
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 472 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   7. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   8. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 4, 2016.
Paid Advertisement