“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
La Grange in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Hermes House

Hermes House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, December 24, 2012
1. Hermes House Marker
Inscription. German native Dr. William A. Hermes moved to La Grange in 1855 to practice medicine. He opened Hermes Drug Store the following year with his partner, Dr. Eck. His two sons, August and William, Jr., earned pharmacy degrees and joined the family business. In October 1892, Dr. Hermes gave this house as a wedding gift to William, Jr. and his bride, Augusta Pauline (Willenberg), also a native of La Grange. Here, William, Jr. and Augusta reared two children, Myrta and Gilbert, who also became a pharmacist at the family store. Since the arrival of Dr. Hermes in 1855, the family has played an active and philanthropic role in church and community organizations, and contributed to La Grange businesses, schools and health services.

The two-story residence was built with second-hand lumber and cypress clapboard siding. The asymmetrical folk Victorian home features a double gallery, ornate fretwork, a decorative vergeboard at the peak of the front gable, bay windows, two-over-two lights, jigsawn porch detailing vertical massing.

The family began constructing additions to the home soon after occupying it in 1892. In effect a city farmstead, the site includes several other vernacular structures, such as a gazebo, an outhouse, buggy house, garage, servant quarters, smokehouse, barns and chickenhouse. Evidence uncovered by family
Hermes House with marker in front. image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, December 24, 2012
2. Hermes House with marker in front.
members during restoration work indicates that water from a 1913 flood rose to four feet inside the house.

Today, the complex of buildings at this site represents a transition from rural farm life at the turn of the 20th century to city life more than 100 years later.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2004

Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13237.)
Location. 29° 54.529′ N, 96° 52.911′ W. Marker is in La Grange, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and West Pearl Street, on the left when traveling north on North Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 541 N. Main St., La Grange TX 78945, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of a Twin Blockhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Dawson Expedition / Historic Oak Tree (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fayette County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); The First U.S. Postal Rural Mail Route in Texas (approx. 0.3 miles away); Birthplace of the SPJST (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Dawson Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Beer Office and Bottling Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); La Fayette Masonic Lodge No. 34 A.F. & A.M. (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in La Grange.
Also see . . .  Pharmacy article in Handbook of Texas mentions Wm. Hermes' store. (Submitted on February 7, 2014, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesNotable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement