Portsmouth, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Saint Paul's School
Enrollment grew steadily. By 1930 there were brothers and 213 boys. Its reputation also attracted many non-Catholic students. In 1931, teaching responsibilities were assumed by the Sisters of Charity serving at St. Joseph's. Both schools became co-educational. In 1948, St. Paul's became the high school, and St. Joseph's the Elementary.
In 1957, a major modernization was completed. The tower was removed and the original 1891 structure was covered by a modern façade. Only the south wall remained visible. In 1959, St. Paul's became the first integrated school in Portsmouth. Its final name change "Portsmouth Catholic High School,"
The school sat empty until 1996, when it was purchased by Monumental United Methodist Church to create needed parking. Monumental ceded the portion of the property containing the original building to the city of Portsmouth in 2001, and an agreement was reached to save the historic building. The modern façade and additions were removed.
In 2005, the school was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Ernest R. Holloway. A detailed restoration was undertaken costing $750,000. This included repairs to the original slate roof, rebuilding the entrance tower, and restoration of the original maple floors and ornate diagonal beadboard ceilings. The location of the original staircase was discovered and it was recreated. The marble plaque above the main entrance was found and returned to its original location.
Aubrey C. Brock of Portsmouth was the restoration architect. Professional Contractors Group, owned by the Holloways, completed the restoration work.
During its 100 years of existence, over 13,000 students graduated and went on to enrich their lives and the quality of life in Portsmouth.
Erected 2014 by The Olde Towne Foundation.
Location. 36° 50.194′ N, 76° 18.228′ W. Marker is in Portsmouth, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and London Street, on the right when traveling north on Washington Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Portsmouth VA 23704, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Paul’s Roman Catholic Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Monumental Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Reverend Francis Devlin (about 600 feet away); Lincolnsville (about 700 feet away); Matilda Sissieretta Joyner Jones (about 700 feet away); Arnold's British Defenses, 1781 (about 700 feet away); Emanuel A.M.E. Church (about 700 feet away); Ruth Brown (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Portsmouth.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 261 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.