Near Headland in Henry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Piney Grove Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery
An arm of the Shilo Primitive Baptist Church located near the Abby Creek, began meeting near the Three Cornered Pond just south of here in 1848. A new church called Piney Grove was constituted on April 21, 1849, by the hands of Elders Uriah M. Pellum and Pilot H. Edwards in the midst of a pine forest near Blackwoods Creek. The church was founded on the Gospel of Salvation by Grace, as taught in the Word of God. Charter members were James Kirkland, James C. Smith, Joseph Lock, James Lock, Willis Lock, Nancy Lock, Rebecca Lock and Morris Ronie. Members first met in a log school house located in the present cemetery.
New members were baptized nearby in Blackwoods Creek. The first church building constructed was here on lands deeded by William and Elizabeth Mims in 1858. The building was damaged by a storm in 1953, and was remodeled and bricked. Additions were added in 1996 and 2005. Remains of 500 Piney Grove worshippers of the Lord and their loved ones were resting in this cemetery in 2006. Earliest marked grave is W. R. Whitehead, who died on October 14, 1871. The Piney Grove Primitive Baptist Church is the oldest entity in the City of Headland, Alabama which was founded in 1871.
Erected 2007 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Henry
Location. 31° 22.409′ N, 85° 21.947′ W. Marker is near Headland, Alabama, in Henry County. Marker is on Broad Street (Alabama Route 173) 0.8 miles south of County Road 17, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1947 Broad Street, Headland AL 36345, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Head's Land Yielded Fruits of Success (approx. 2 miles away); Henry County Confederate Memorial (approx. 2 miles away); Headland, Alabama / Headland Public Square (approx. 2 miles away); Headland World War I Monument (approx. 2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Headland (approx. 2.2 miles away); Newville High School / Newville Rosenwald School (approx. 3.7 miles away); Newville, Alabama / Newville Pioneers (approx. 3.7 miles away); Newville Baptist Church / Newville Baptist Church Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Headland.
Also see . . . Brief History of the Primitive Baptists - Website of church. (Submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 339 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.