Headland in Henry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Headland, Alabama / Headland Public Square
James Joshua Head (1839-1927) founded Headland in 1871 as Headís Land. He patented land, platted the town and built his home. The Post Office opened, as Headland, on October 10, 1871. J. J. Head sold Headland to Hosey C. Powell in 1879, who sold to Dr. Wyatt S. Oates in 1880. J. J. Head moved to Tampa, Florida in 1883 and later established Lake Magdalene. Headland incorporated in 1884 with 26 white and 4 black petitioners. The railroad and depot were built in 1893. Headland grew into Henry Countyís largest city by 2000.
This public square was laid off in 1871 by J. J. Head with a vision for a branch court house. Henry County voters decided in the 1879 and 1885 court house site elections not to locate a court house on the public square. Henry has been Alabamaís only County with three court houses at the same time. The Alabama Supreme Court ruled in 1908 that the town of Headland had title to the square instead of Dr. W. S. Oates (1852-1913), who had claimed title when he purchased the town in 1880. Dr. Oates was instrumental in the development of Headland. The first public statue in Henry County was erected on the square in 1926 and the square was paved in 1935.
Location. 31° 21.124′ N, 85° 20.553′ W. Marker is in Headland, Alabama, in Henry County. Marker is on Main Street 0.1 miles south of Alabama Route 173, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Headland AL 36345, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Head's Land Yielded Fruits of Success (here, next to this marker); Henry County Confederate Memorial (here, next to this marker); Headland World War I Monument (a few steps from this marker); First Baptist Church of Headland (approx. ľ mile away); Piney Grove Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Mallalieu Seminary (approx. 3.7 miles away); Headland Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Shelley General Store (approx. 4.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Headland.
Also see . . . City of Headland Website. (Submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 333 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.