“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Screamer in Henry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Liberty United Methodist Church / Hilliardsville

Liberty United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 16, 2014
1. Liberty United Methodist Church Marker
Liberty United Methodist Church

Also called Liberty Chapel, the Church was organized circa 1830 and originally located three miles northeast of this site, on the Old Liberty Church Road. Rev. Anson West, D.D., renowned Methodist minister, missionary, historian and writer was licensed to exhort there November 3, 1855. In 1873, the building was dismantled and moved to this site, donated by the Peacock Family, to be used as a place of divine worship. It was used as a schoolhouse for many years. Using much of the original material, the church was rebuilt in 1914 and later enclosed with brick. Sunday School rooms, bathrooms, kitchen and fellowship hall were added in recent years.


Hilliardsville Post Office was established near here on May 18, 1850, with Washington H. Peacock as its first postmaster, followed in 1860 by John M. Woods. Discontinued during the Civil War, the post office was re-established in 1872 with Matilda Thompson as postmaster. Later appointments were John P. Crawford in 1876, Matilda Thompson again in 1878, James A. Phillips and Richard Knight in 1882, Mattie R. Bedell in 1883, John C. McLeod, Maggie E. Johnston in 1884, and William F. Watford in 1887. His son, John W. Watford served from 1897 until October 15, 1907, when mail service
Hilliardsville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 16, 2014
2. Hilliardsville Marker
was transferred to the Abbeville Post Office.
Erected 1989 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Henry County Historical Society.
Location. 31° 40.895′ N, 85° 12.126′ W. Marker is in Screamer, Alabama, in Henry County. Marker is on County Road 92 0.3 miles north of State Route 95, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 341 County Road 92, Abbeville AL 36310, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 3.1 miles away); Lawrenceville / Lawrenceville Academy (approx. 4.2 miles away); White Oak United Methodist Church (approx. 7 miles away); Toney-Standley House (approx. 7 miles away in Georgia but has been reported missing); New Lowell United Methodist Church / New Lowell School (approx. 7.3 miles away in Georgia); Abbeville/Seven Flags and an Arrow Over Abbeville (approx. 8.1 miles away); A County Older Than the State (approx. 8.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Screamer.
Categories. Churches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
Liberty United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 16, 2014
3. Liberty United Methodist Church
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 283 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement