Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. Mary's Seminary

 
 
St. Mary's Seminary Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 17, 2008
1. St. Mary's Seminary Marker
Inscription. Here, at the One Mile Tavern, in 1791, the Fathers of St. Sulpice (Paris, France) founded St. Mary's, the first Roman Catholic Seminary in the United States. Maryland was then a center of Catholic activity, with Baltimore having been selected at the nation's first see (November 6, 1789), embracing all the territory east of the Mississippi and from the Canadian border to the Floridas, which then belonged to Spain. In this vast territory there were not more than thirty priests and more than 30,000 Catholics.

The present Chapel, a national landmark, was designed by Maximilian Godefroy and dedicated on June 16, 1808 by Archbishop John Carroll. Generations of priests were formed here. St. Elizabeth Ann Seton too her first vows in the Lower Chapel (March 25, 1809) and the Oblate Sisters of Providence, the first congregation of black Sisters in the world, regard it as the site of their foundation (1829).

The Seminary building (depicted below) was designed by E. F. Baldwin a Baltimore architect. Constructed in various stations from 1876 to 1894, the building was razed in 1975 and the property was sold to the City of Baltimore for St. Mary's Park.
 
Erected by the City of Baltimore, the Sulpician Fathers, sponsor, William Donald Schaefer, mayor.
 
Marker series.
The three markers in front of St. Mary's Seminary Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck
2. The three markers in front of St. Mary's Seminary Chapel
This marker is the one in the center.
This marker is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
 
Location. 39° 17.742′ N, 76° 37.42′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker can be reached from North Paca Street. Click for map. Marker is in front of St. Mary's Seminary Chapel, which cannot be seen from the street. It can be accessed from the parking lot of St. Mary's Spiritual Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 North Paca Street, Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Mary's Seminary Chapel (here, next to this marker); Chapel of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Temple (here, next to this marker); Mother Seton House (within shouting distance of this marker); Orchard Street Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Oblate Sisters of Providence (about 700 feet away); Take a Stroll Down the Main Street of the African American Experience (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Eager Howard (approx. 0.2 miles away); G. Krug & Son (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Baltimore.
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
St. Mary's Seminary Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck
3. St. Mary's Seminary Chapel
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,420 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement