Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1849, a Bohemian priest, Father George Menzel, erected a more substantial cross as a symbol of redemption and civilization. Easter Sunrise Services were held on the mountain for many years prior to 1941. In 1946 the Very Rev. F. X. Wolf threw the switch to illuminate the permanent cross of metal and concrete built by St. Mary's Catholic Church.
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10025.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bethany Lutheran Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); A Lasting Friendship (approx. 1.2 miles away); Frank Valentin Van Der Stucken (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lasting Friendship (approx. 1.3 miles away); Jacob Brodbeck (approx. 1.3 miles away); Gillespie County Country Schools 1846 to 1970's (approx. 1.3 miles away); Market Square (Marktplatz) (approx. 1.3 miles away); Vereins Kirche (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Hispanic Americans • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 280 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.