San Angelo in Tom Green County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Catholic priests visited the Concho River area in the 17th and 18th centuries, but modern Catholicism began after the founding of Fort Concho in 1867. Father Mathurin J. Pairier (1822?-1888) began visiting here in 1874. He cared for the Catholics of Fort Concho, Ben Ficklin, and Santa Angela. On September 22, 1874, he accepted donation of this land, known as "The Catholic Block," from San Angelo promoter Bart J. DeWitt.
After the county seat moved to San Angelo in 1882, Father Pairier began plans for a church building here. Completed in 1884, the year Pairer became resident pastor, the stone edifice was the first church building in San Angelo. Known as Immaculate Conception, the parish included Mexican, English, Irish, and German Catholics. In 1888, Father John Sheehan, the second pastor, welcomed the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word of San Antonio, who started a Catholic school.
A portion of the block was sold in 1906 when a new church building was constructed under Father Joseph Hoban. This church became known as Sacred Heart.
In 1961 Pope John XXIII established the Diocese of San Angelo with Sacred Heart as the Cathedral Church. It is the mother church for many Catholic parishes in West Texas.
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker
Location. 31° 27.79′ N, 100° 26.121′ W. Marker is in San Angelo, Texas, in Tom Green County. Marker is at the intersection of Beauregard Avenue and Oakes Street, on the left when traveling east on Beauregard Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19 South Oakes Street, San Angelo TX 76903, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First United Methodist Church of San Angelo (within shouting distance of this marker); San Angelo Lodge No. 570, A.F.&A.M. (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Elmer Kelton Memorial Mural (about 500 feet away); Chadwick Building (about 500 feet away); Myers Drug (about 500 feet away); J. J. Rackley Building (about 600 feet away); O.C. Fisher Federal Building and United States Courthouse (about 600 feet away); 1 East Twohig Avenue (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in San Angelo.
Also see . . .
1. Cathedral of the Sacred Heart Catholic, San Angelo. (Submitted on February 23, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Catholic Diocese of San Angelo. (Submitted on February 23, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Hispanic Americans •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 232 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.