Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ferndale in Humboldt County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

“The Danish Hall”

 
 
The Danish Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, February 8, 2014
1. The Danish Hall Marker
Inscription. Originally constructed as a warehouse in July of 1902; known as the A. Berding Warehouse and housed many businesses. In 1919 Hampton C. Blum acquired the warehouse. In January 1929, The Danish Hall Committee started considerations for pu(r)chase. The purchase price was set at $2,250.00 not including furnishings or remodel costs. On August 6, 1929, the Fjeldronning Lodge #131 Danish Sisterhood Society Dannebrog Lodge #10 Ydun acquired the property. The Danish Hall was officially dedicated on October 10, 1929. The hall has been used since its dedication for meeting, dances and social gatherings by the lodge and its members. The remodel work that was done to convert the warehouse to a lodge added significantly to the building’s strength. The lodge survived the 3 large earthquakes in 1992.

On October 10, 1929, the Ferndale Enterprise stated that the owners of the hall were complimented “upon their splendid building which is indeed a credit to the community.”
 
Erected 2014 by Grand Parlor, Native Sons of the Golden West. (Marker Number 137-07.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 40° 34.522′ N, 124° 15.869′ 
The Danish Hall image. Click for full size.
By James King, February 8, 2014
2. The Danish Hall
The marker is visible to the right of the entryway.
W. Marker is in Ferndale, California, in Humboldt County. Marker is on Ocean Avenue 0.3 miles east of South Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 430 Ocean Avenue, Ferndale CA 95536, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Danish Hall (here, next to this marker); "The Victorian Inn" (within shouting distance of this marker); Hotel Ivanhoe (within shouting distance of this marker); Ferndale Masonic Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Ferndale Palace Saloon (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ferndale Meat Market (about 300 feet away); Our Centennial (about 300 feet away); "Poppa Joe's" (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Ferndale.
 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal Organizations
 
Dedication Ceremony image. Click for full size.
By James King, February 8, 2014
3. Dedication Ceremony
Grand President Dwight Dutschke presiding.

It was raining this day so the dedication was held inside.
Dedication Ceremony image. Click for full size.
By James King, February 8, 2014
4. Dedication Ceremony
Past Grand President Allan Baird gives the invocation.
To his right (l-r), Grand 3rd VP Paul Lapachet, Grand 2nd VP Doug Calkins and (filling in for the Grand 1st VP) Grand Trustee Carey Pearce. To PGP Baird's left is Grand President Dwight Dutschke.
Sealing the Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, February 8, 2014
5. Sealing the Marker
Past Grand President Baird ventures out during a break in the rain to place the seal on the plaque.
The Corner of Ocean and Main/Francis image. Click for full size.
By James King, February 8, 2014
6. The Corner of Ocean and Main/Francis
The Victorian Inn dominates the corner and the Danish Hall is to the left, down Ocean Ave.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 262 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement