Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charleston in Montgomery County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Burtonville

The Schoharie Creek At Burtonville

 
 
Burtonville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, February 16, 2014
1. Burtonville Marker
Inscription. Burtonville, one of the first settlements in Montgomery County was originally part of the Stone Heap Patent. Judah Burton settled here shortly after the Revolutionary War, building a dam and mills on the creek calling it Burton Dam. The community's name was changed to Mudge Hollow and then to Burtonville in 1837.

The name Schoharie is derived from an Indian word To-Was-Sho-Hor meaning "drift wood" and is descriptive of the river's tendency to carry along and deposit trees and other objects during times of high water. The valley, formed through the actions of Pleistocene (ice age) glaciers and continuous water erosion, is composed primarily of sedimentary shale and limestone. This rock, unique to eastern and southeastern New York State can be found throughout the Schoharie Valley in the form of shale cliffs and escarpments. Another unique geological characteristic of the Schoharie region is the flat horizontal span of shale bedrock referred to locally as a dance floor. Polished smooth by the action of glaciers, and example of dance floors can be seen here over the north side of the lower bridge.

This place has been used as a ford (crossing point) by both Native Americans and European settlers. A shallow, swift flowing river, the Schoharie at Burtonville was an ideal site to settle because of the limitless power that could
The Burtonville Marker is on the Front of the Church Building image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, February 16, 2014
2. The Burtonville Marker is on the Front of the Church Building
The former Methodist Church, built in 1857, is now the Schoharie River Center.
be harnessed from the creek. In 1785 the first mills were erected by Judah Burton just upstream from this place. Water power to the mills was channeled through the creation of a large mill race which diverted water from the river to several mills erected between 1790 and the early 1900's. The race, called a power ditch, was built of stone with dry masonry techniques. The stone used in building the mills, race, and dwellings in the village itself was quarried from the creek.

The first bridge across the creek was erected at Burtonville in 1790. A later covered wooden bridge was destroyed by flooding in 1814. This flood also destroyed the mill which had been erected by Judah Burton in 1785.

Burtonville today is a quiet residential hamlet. The creek here is used for recreation (predominantly fishing and swimming) and is known for its clear waters and abundant wildlife. The village supports fire and emergency medical services as well as the environmental and community cultural organization, the Schoharie River Center.

Built in 1857, the former Methodist Church is now the Schoharie River Center. It was one of two churches in Burtonville, having at one time 90 members. The community also supported two hotels, two stores, black smith shops, and its own school and post office.

In the late 18th and through most of the 19th century this community was a booming
Burtonville Marker Detail image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, February 16, 2014
3. Burtonville Marker Detail
area with a tannery, saw mill, grist mill, carding machine and fulling mill, nail factory, woolen factory, sash and blind factory. Hay forks and light wagons were also made in Burtonville. Stone mill foundations are visible along this side of the creek to the right.

The Schoharie River Center, a non-profit organization, thanks the Decentralization Program of the New York State Council for the Arts, for support for this sign. Appreciation also goes to the Mohawk Valley Heritage Corridor Commission for their assistance.
 
Erected by Decentralization Program of the New York State Council for the Arts & the Mohawk Valley Heritage Corridor Commission.
 
Location. 42° 48.334′ N, 74° 15.552′ W. Marker is in Charleston, New York, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Burtonville Road (County Route 127), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2025 Burtonville Road, Esperance NY 12066, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mill Stones (within shouting distance of this marker); Grist Mill (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eatons Corners Post Office & Store (approx. 0.6 miles away);
Burtonville Marker Detail image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, February 16, 2014
4. Burtonville Marker Detail
Tory Tree Site (approx. 0.8 miles away); County Line Meeting House (approx. one mile away); Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Presbyterian Church Esperance, NY (approx. 3.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Charleston.
 
Also see . . .  Schoharie River Center - Environmental Study Team. (Submitted on February 26, 2014, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
 
Additional keywords. Burtonsville
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Burtonville Marker Detail image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, February 16, 2014
5. Burtonville Marker Detail
Burtonville Marker Detail image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, February 16, 2014
6. Burtonville Marker Detail
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 320 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement