Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created March 17, 1836
Organized in 1837
The river traversing the region was called “Colorado” (red) by Spanish explorers who mistook it for the reddish Brazos. From the river, the county took its name
Columbus, the county seat
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 973.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 29° 43.163′ N, 96° 33.133′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is on Business State Highway 71 near Farm to Market Road 109, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Located ½ mile north of the Colorado River. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus TX 78934, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robson's Castle and Columbus, Texas, Meat and Ice Company (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of the Camp of Gen. Joaquín Ramírez y Sesma (approx. 1.1 miles away); Site of Railway Hospital (approx. 1.1 miles away); Townsend-West House The Columbus Tap Railway (approx. 1.1 miles away); 1890 Cornerstone Ceremony (approx. 1.2 miles away); Confederate Memorial Museum (approx. 1.2 miles away); District Court Tree (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 413 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.