“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pike Road in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Antioch Baptist Church

Mount Meigs, Alabama

Antioch Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 27, 2014
1. Antioch Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Organized on June 5, 1818, the Antioch Baptist Church at Mt. Meigs was the first church of any denomination established in Montgomery County. Rev. James McLemore was its founder and first pastor. Antioch, like most churches in the county, had both white and black members before the Civil War and Reconstruction era. Antioch was officially incorporated in May of 1911 under a 9-man board of trustees. In 1919, the Antioch congregation built a new church building on land adjoining the Peoples Village School using material from the old church building; it was bricked and rededicated in 1980. In 1989, classrooms and a fellowship hall were added and a larger sanctuary with a capacity for 1,500 worshipers followed in 1999. The public road leading to the church is designated “Antioch Lane” in recognition of the role Antioch has played in the surrounding communities.
Erected 2008 by the Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 21.29′ N, 86° 6.228′ W. Marker is in Pike Road, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Gibbs Road and Antioch Lane, on the right when traveling south on Gibbs Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 738 Gibbs Road, Pike Road AL 36064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Antioch Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 27, 2014
2. Antioch Baptist Church
At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Georgia Washington School (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); Chantilly Plantation (approx. 0.7 miles away); Ray Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Taylor Field (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Oaks Plantation (approx. 3.4 miles away); Lucas Tavern (approx. 3.7 miles away); Augusta and the Old Augusta Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pike Road.
Also see . . .  Antioch Baptist Church web site. (Submitted on February 27, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. Churches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 270 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement