Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pensacola in Escambia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Kupfrian's Park

 
 
Kupfrian's Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, March 10, 2014
1. Kupfrian's Park Marker
Inscription. Established by German immigrant Conrad Kupfrian (1833-1892), the 100-acre Kupfrian’s Park opened in the early 1880s and provided a distinctive entertainment and recreational venue for Pensacola residents for over thirty years. Kupfrian constructed amenities such as a German-style beer garden, a racetrack surrounding an infield lake, and numerous picnic pavilions nestled among his park’s large live oak trees. One of the park’s greatest contributions to the growth of Pensacola was its connection with the creation of the city’s first public transportation system. An astute businessman, Kupfrian was one of the founding owners of the Pensacola Street Car Company, and he made certain that the company’s service extended two miles northwest of the city center to terminate at his park’s main gate. As the city grew during the 1920s, the popularity of Kupfrian’s Park waned, eventually being replaced by coastal venues accessible by the newly constructed Pensacola Bay Bridge. Today, the park’s original structures are gone, but many of its oak trees and infield lake remain. Kupfrian’s Park is an important reminder of the many contributions made by immigrant entrepreneurs to the multi-cultural growth of modern Pensacola.
 
Erected 2012 by the Kupfrian Park Homeowners Association, the Escambia County Board of
Marker & Pensacola Health Care Facility in background. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, March 10, 2014
2. Marker & Pensacola Health Care Facility in background.
Commissioners, West Florida Historic Preservation, Inc. & the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-732.)
 
Location. 30° 25.863′ N, 87° 14.377′ W. Marker is in Pensacola, Florida, in Escambia County. Marker is at the intersection of West Avery Street and North M Street, on the right when traveling east on West Avery Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1717 West Avery Street, Pensacola FL 32501, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. North Hill Preservation District (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fort San Bernardo (approx. 1.2 miles away); Original Site of Pensacola Junior College (approx. 1.5 miles away); Our Confederate Dead (approx. 1.6 miles away); Fort George (approx. 1.6 miles away); Battle of Pensacola (approx. 1.6 miles away); Christ Episcopal Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pensacola.
 
Also see . . .  Pensapedia Wiki entry. (Submitted on March 12, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. EntertainmentRailroads & Streetcars
 
Marker area image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, March 10, 2014
3. Marker area
Kupfrian's Park Entrance circa early 1900's image. Click for full size.
By Public Domain
4. Kupfrian's Park Entrance circa early 1900's
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement