“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Atmore in Escambia County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Williams Station, Alabama 1866-1897 / Atmore Alabama

Williams Station, Alabama 1866-1897 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, March 11, 2014
1. Williams Station, Alabama 1866-1897 Marker
Side 1
Williams Station, Alabama

Creek Indians lived in these parts some 200 years before trains began stopping here in 1866 to leave supplies for a farmer, William Larkin Williams, who lived nearby. Workers, who came first to build the railroads, were attracted by the vast forests of longleaf pine and rich farmland. As the settlement grew around Mr. Williams' supply stop, it became known as Williams Station. Saw mills sprang up in this timber-rich area. Abundant resources for lumber and turpentine meant there was money to be made in Williams Station well before the land was cleared for cotton. In 1876, North Carolinian William Marshall Carney moved to the area from Mobile. During the next two decades, Williams Station grew in proportion to Carney's various business interests. His generous philanthropic gifts helped build a school and three local churches. Because of Carney-generated growth and enthusiasm, residents thought the town deserved a name more refined than that of a mere railway whistle stop. In 1897, the town was renamed Atmore in honor of Charles Pawson Atmore.

Side 2
Atmore, Alabama

In 1897, town leaders wanted to change the name of Williams Station to Carney, in honor of William Marshall Carney, the man who had contributed
Atmore Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, March 11, 2014
2. Atmore Alabama Marker
greatly to the town's growth. However, Mr. Carney's brother had already started a settlement in Baldwin County and given it his family name. Having two towns with the same name so close together would create confusion. Determined to honor W.M. Carney, the leaders asked him to select the town's new name. He honored his good friend, Charles Pawson Atmore, general passenger agent for the Louisville and Nashville Railroad in Louisville, Kentucky. According to the New York Times, C.P. Atmore died at age 66, on May 29, 1900. There is no record that he ever visited the little town named for him.
On May 23, 1907, Atmore became an incorporated municipality. The town celebrated this centennial milestone at Heritage Park in May 2007.
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department, Atmore Area Chamber of Commerce and the City of Atmore.
Location. 31° 1.446′ N, 87° 29.535′ W. Marker is in Atmore, Alabama, in Escambia County. Marker is on U.S. 31 0.1 miles west of Presley Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: East Nashville Avenue, Atmore AL 36502, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Canoe Station (approx. 4.9 miles away).
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, March 11, 2014
3. Marker Area
Atmore Station image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, March 11, 2014
4. Atmore Station
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 378 times since then and 103 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement