Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hackensack in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Archibald Campbell’s Tavern

 
 
Archibald Campbell’s Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 19, 2008
1. Archibald Campbell’s Tavern Marker
Inscription. Archibald Campbell’s tavern stood here. He supplied meals to General Washington when Peter Zabriskie’s home was used as military headquarters between November 13 and November 21, 1776 during the retreat across New Jersey. The army marched down Main Street and camped on the Green during November 20-21, 1776.
 
Location. 40° 52.768′ N, 74° 2.662′ W. Marker is in Hackensack, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Morris Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 41 Main Street, Hackensack NJ 07601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mansion House (within shouting distance of this marker); First House in Hackensack (within shouting distance of this marker); Hackensack (within shouting distance of this marker); The Green (within shouting distance of this marker); Hackensack War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Green (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the Court-House & Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Holocaust (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Hackensack.
 
Also see . . .
Marker on Main Street image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 19, 2008
2. Marker on Main Street
 Washington's Retreat Through Jersey. (Submitted on April 20, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsWar, US Revolutionary
 
Site of Campbell’s Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 19, 2008
3. Site of Campbell’s Tavern
Archibald Campbell’s tavern occupied this site when George Washington and the Continental army stopped here during their retreat across New Jersey in 1776.
The Green image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 30, 2008
4. The Green
The Continental army camped on the Green on during the retreat across New Jersey. Archibald Campbell’s tavern can be seen at the upper left of the photo.
Archibald Campbell Family Monument image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, January 31, 2013
5. Archibald Campbell Family Monument
Tavern owner Archibald Campbell is buried in the First Reformed Church Cemetery, 1 block east of the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,740 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement