Comanche in Comanche County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Chilton-Harelik Building
The original building on this site was erected in May 1873. A deed of trust from Martha and G L Wright was given to a Mr. Crow from Stephenville, TX. In February 1874 James Buchanan paid G L Wright $850.00 in gold coins for the property. The building contained the first businesses located here, a drugstore and mercantile. The building was destroyed by fire in 1889 along with 4 other buildings which was believed to have been caused by an explosion of gunpowder and dynamite in one of the destroyed firms. The structure was rebuilt in 1890 and increased in size. The J B Chilton family acquired the property in 1897 and retained ownership for nearly 100 years until it was deeded to Texas Christian University. The Ephraim (Charles) Hoffman family operated a dry goods store in the building from 1923 to 1939. In the winter of 1946, Louis and Betty Harelik purchased a dry goods store in operation on the location called Novit's Dept. Store from Harry Melowsky (Mellow), son-in-law of W H Novit, Mr. Harelik's uncle, and long-time family friend, and operated as such until 1982. Other businesses since have been a clothing store, antique store and nightclub. The nightclub opened January 1, 2002.
Erected by Comanche County Historical Society.
Location. Click for map. Marker and building are on the courthouse square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 127 North Houston Street, Comanche TX 76442, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Huett Building and Carrera [sic Carrara] Glass (a few steps from this marker); Ritz Theater Building (a few steps from this marker); Royal King (within shouting distance of this marker); The Comanche Chief (within shouting distance of this marker); Durham Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Cora Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bicentennial Park (about 300 feet away); Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Comanche.
Also see . . . Welcome to Comanche, Texas. (Submitted on March 14, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Disasters • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 224 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.