Franklin in Crawford County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
National & State Historic Site
Constructed in 1936 with federal funding assistance, the Franklin Sidewalk connects two rural mining communities in Crawford County - Franklin and Arma. The 3' wide sidewalk stretches 1.7 miles. It has become well known as the "longest sidewalk connecting two communities".
Location. 37° 31.255′ N, 94° 42.296′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Kansas, in Crawford County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway (Business U.S. 69) and 7th Street, on the left when traveling south on Broadway. Click for map. Marker is across the street from the Franklin Community Center/Miners Hall Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 701 South Broadway, Franklin KS 66735, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Church Bell from St. Philip Neri Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Dragline Bucket (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Buffalo Cupola & Forge Blower (about 400 feet away); Coal Mine Hoist (about 400 feet away); Trolley / Street Car Rails (about 700 feet away); Franklin Grade School and Playground (about 700 feet away); William B. and Athlyn C. Pritchett (about 700 feet away); Franklin Community Park Sign (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Franklin.
Related marker. another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Franklin-Arma Sidewalk. (Submitted on March 16, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 253 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.