Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The West End
Alexandria Heritage Trail
By 1815, a variety of tradesmen had established their homes and businesses at West End. Butchers, tanners, millers, carriage maker, tavernkeepers, wheelwrights, blacksmiths, soap and candle makers chose West End for availability of large land parcels outside the town limits and proximity to customers traveling on the thoroughfares. Within the next 100 years, West End residents also engaged in slave dealing, glassmaking, brewing beer, selling dry goods and food, providing water, as well as growing flowers in commercial-scale greenhouses.
"West End--a village joining this city and separated from the Corporation limits by Hooff's Run, is a very old place… We have heard old people say that they remembered when West End, was in one sense, 'a shipping port' for that they have seen a flat bottom boat come up Hooff's Run to the Stone Bridge,
While some families continued in West End for generations, there was a great deal of transiency among tradesmen. Charles Jones advertised: "... he has again commenced business at WEST END Duke Street....Coachmaking... having a number of steady workmen in different Branches, and all kinds of materials for carrying on his business Extensively." Yet Jones left next year and rented his buildings to James Sheehy for his Soap and Candle Manufactory. Sheehy advertised that he kept "a few thousand weight of hogs lard" on hand. —Alexandria Gazette 2/27/1798; 12/21/1811.
From throughout the region, employers came to West End for Hiring Out Day every New Year's Day until the Civil War. African American "...men, women and children, mechanics, fieldhands, dining room servants... eating, drinking, fiddling and dancing; all their own masters, so far as having the privilege of selecting their homes for the next year goes. —Alexandria Gazette, January 14, 1860.
(sidebar) Several archaeological investigations have been conducted in advance of new construction in West End. Archaeologists have discovered the remnants of homes which lined Duke Street, the West End Brewery, the Virginia Glass Company, Cameron Mills and the
The brick structure at 1707 Duke is the last remaining West End building. Constructed as a home in 1819, it is remembered as the "Bruin Slave Jail" where African Americans were brought before transport to southern markets for resale.
Location. 38° 48.192′ N, 77° 3.49′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Jamieson Avenue and Daingerfield Road, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is along the walkway beside Hooff's Run just west of the Marriott Residence Inn at 1456 Duke Street. Marker is in this post office area: Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hooff's Run Bridge (a few steps from this marker); The Duke Street Tanyard (within shouting distance of this marker); A National Cemetery System (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Pursuers of Booth the Assassin" Alexandria National Cemetery (about 600 feet away); Shiloh Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1323 Duke Street – From Slavery to Freedom and Service (approx. 0.2 miles away); Franklin and Armfield Slave Office (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Alexandria.
Also see . . .
1. West End. (PDF) Archaeological Site Report Prepared by Norfolk Southern Corporation, by Kurt P. Schweigert. (Submitted on March 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
2. Alexandria Heritage Trail. (Submitted on March 17, 2014.)
Categories. • African Americans • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 795 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.