Near Glen Mills in Delaware County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Newlin Mill Complex
1704 Colonial Gristmill
—Placed on the National Register of Historic Places - 1983 —
was entered in the
of Historic Places
on March 9, 1983 by the
U.S. Department of the Interior
as one of the
“Nation’s Cultural Resources
Worthy of Preservation”
Erected 1983 by United States Department of the Interior.
Location. 39° 53.415′ N, 75° 30.338′ W. Marker is near Glen Mills, Pennsylvania, in Delaware County. Marker can be reached from Cheyney Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is on the side of the mill building next to the lower door. Marker is at or near this postal address: 219 Cheyney Road, Glen Mills PA 19342, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonial Gristmill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ivy Mills (approx. 1.1 miles away); Yellow House (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Historic Village of Thornton (approx. 1.8 miles away); Glen Mills (approx. 2.3 miles away); 1704 House (approx. 3 miles away); Battle of Brandywine (approx. 3.2 miles away); Jimmy Carter (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Glen Mills.
Also see . . .
1. Newlin Grist Mill Complex ~ Wikipedia. (Submitted on March 17, 2014, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
2. Newlin Gristmill - Website. (Submitted on March 17, 2014, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
3. Explore History - Newlin's Colonial Gristmill. (Submitted on March 17, 2014, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
1. Newlin Grist Mill, Glen Mills, Pennsylvania:
The Newlin Grist Mill, a 1704 grist mill is one of several working grist mills in Pennsylvania. The mill was originally built by Quaker Nicholas Newlin, on a 500 acre land grant from William Penn. He brought his family to Pennsylvania from Ireland and built water-powered mills along Chester Creek. The mill at the Newlin Grist Mill is actually a third mill built in 1704 by Nathaniel Newlin, Nicholas' son. This mill was operated by descendants of Nathaniel Newlin until 1817 as a commercial mill grinding wheat, corn, oats, buckwheat and rye. The mill remained in operation until 1941 and the original dam and mill race are still in working order and supply the power run to the mill. The mill's interior gears and machinery have all been reconstructed to 1700 operational standards and everything is fully functional; You can watch corn
— Submitted March 17, 2014, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 332 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on , by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.