“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Schenectady in Schenectady County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

South Gate of Stockade

South Gate of Stockade - Schenectady, NY image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, April 19, 2008
1. South Gate of Stockade - Schenectady, NY
Located at centre of
present State Street in east line
of stockade, which extended north,
through a point nine feet west
of northeast corner of present
State and Ferry Streets.
Watch house was located southwest
of, and near this gate.

Assault during massacre of
February 8-9, 1690, was made
outside of gate, where on north
side of State Street, nine
persons were killed and two taken

Tablet erected by Common Council
on centennial anniversary of
incorporation of city
March 26 1898.

Erected 1898 by Schenectady Common Council.
Location. 42° 48.903′ N, 73° 56.759′ W. Marker is in Schenectady, New York, in Schenectady County. Marker is at the intersection of South Ferry Street and State Street (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling north on South Ferry Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 State St, Schenectady NY 12305, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Mill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Yates House (about 600 feet away); Dutch Church
State Street in Schenectady image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, April 19, 2008
2. State Street in Schenectady
The marker is on the side of the building. The view is to the east along State Street.
(about 700 feet away); Arendt Van Curler (about 700 feet away); Southwest Corner of Stockade (about 800 feet away); Clench's Tavern (about 800 feet away); M-7 Day (about 800 feet away); Schenectady (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Schenectady.
More about this marker. The Marker is mounted on the side of the brick building at the northeast corner of the intersection of State Street (Route 5) and the side street, South Ferry Street, in down town Schenectady. The marker faces South Ferry Street.
Regarding South Gate of Stockade. The Schenectady Stockade received patent in 1672. The village was divided into four blocks, or squares, and these were subdivided into house-lots. The entire area of the village was enclosed and fortified with stockades, or palisades. It was patented as a township with certain municipal rights in 1684. At various times in its early history, Schenectady suffered from the attacks of the French and the Indians. The most memorable of these attacks known as "The Massacre of Schenectady". was in February, 1690. Schenectady
Schenectady Stockade South Gate image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, April 19, 2008
3. Schenectady Stockade South Gate
The Marker can be seen across the intersection on the side of the building to the left of the man in the red shirt.
is said to have had at this time about 80 houses and 400 inhabitants, of which 60 were killed, 27 made prisoners, and the village burned. The village was protected by palisades. There were two gates, one at the north end of Church street, the other at the south end, opening out to the Albany road. There was, also, near what is now the corner of Washington and Front streets, a fort garrisoned by 24 men.
Additional keywords. Massacre of 1690
Categories. Colonial EraNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,727 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement