“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Crestview in Okaloosa County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

Okaloosa County

Okaloosa County Marker image. Click for full size.
By K. McNair, March 24, 2014
1. Okaloosa County Marker
Inscription. Okaloosa County, created by the Florida State Legislature in 1915, was formed from parts of Santa Rosa and Walton Counties. The influence of W.H. Mapoles, Sr., then a legislative representative from Walton County, was an important factor in the creation of the county. The name chosen for the new county was derived from Indian words variously interpreted as “ black water,” “pleasant place,” or “a place of rest.” The first county seat was Milligan, a sawmill town. In 1917, Crestview was selected as the permanent county seat. Okaloosa County's economy is based on agriculture, forestry, and tourism.
Erected 1975 by the Board of County Commissioners, Okaloosa County in cooperation with Department of State. (Marker Number F-233.)
Location. 30° 45.661′ N, 86° 34.337′ W. Marker is in Crestview, Florida, in Okaloosa County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Main Street North and West Pine Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located near the south steps to the courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 East James Lee Boulevard, Crestview FL 32536, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured
Okaloosa County Courthouse Southside image. Click for full size.
By K. McNair, March 24, 2014
2. Okaloosa County Courthouse Southside
as the crow flies. A different marker also named Okaloosa County (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Crestview Lodge #364 F&AM PHA (approx. 0.7 miles away); Carver-Hill H.S. (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Bethel Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); Baker High School (approx. 6.8 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .  Okaloosa County History. (Submitted on March 24, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Additional comments.
1. Marker removed - hopefully temporarily.
The marker near the Okaloosa County Courthouse has been removed as the courthouse is set to be demolished so a new courthouse can be built.
    — Submitted October 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Categories. Industry & Commerce
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 267 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 15, 2016.
Paid Advertisement