Enniskillen in County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
The Watergate and Flag of St George
The Watergate is the name given to the twin turreted building added to the outer wall of the castle c. 1615. Scottish in style, it was almost certainly built by William Cole, constable of the castle and founder of Enniskillen town. Its name may have come from an earlier gate nearby, marked 'Watergatte' on a map of 1594, which opened on to the water but has long since disappeared. Immediately inside the 'Watergate' is a deep well, an important feature for a castle under attack.
Flag of St George
Flying from the Watergate is the flag of St George, the English national banner until 1606. The long established practice of flying this flag was almost certainly to honour Enniskillen's famous regiment, the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. Originally called Tiffin's Regiment after its first colonel, it volunteered along with others to defend Enniskillen from Jacobite forces in 1689. The regiment, according to tradition, fought under this flag and distinguished itself during the Williamite wars, particularly at the Battle of the Boyne. King William is said to have conferred on it the right to use the symbol of a castle flying a St. George flag on its regimental badges and colours.
Erected by Enniskillen Castle Museums.
Location. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of Enniskillen Castle Museums, off Wellington Road (A4) at the River Erne. Marker is in this post office area: Enniskillen, Northern Ireland BT74 7HL, United Kingdom.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. German 21cm Mortar, 1918 (here, next to this marker); German 77mm Light Artillery Gun (a few steps from this marker); South Africa War Memorial (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); World Wars Memorial (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Cole's Monument (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Welcome to Irvinestown (approx. 13.9 kilometers away); Centenary Gardens House 1 (approx. 14 kilometers away); Memorials to the Great Irish Famine in County Fermanagh (approx. 14.2 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Enniskillen.
Also see . . .
1. Enniskillen Castle Museums. (Submitted on March 29, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers: A Brief History. (Submitted on March 29, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Man-Made Features • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.