Oakland in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Oakland City Hall
For many years the tallest building in Oakland, it was reputedly the first city hall in the United States to combine the ceremonial aspects of government with the modern high-rise office tower. Its three-tiered design earned it the nickname of “Mayor Mott’s wedding cake.” The ten-story office tower and a 91-foot ornamental clock tower and cupola rise above a three-story base with the council chambers, hearing rooms and mayor’s offices.
The building is of steel frame construction clad in white California granite. Glazed terra cotta ornament represents the state’s agricultural abundance: grapes, olives, figs, and wheat. Structurally damaged in the 1989 earthquake, City Hall was completely renovated and retrofitted with an innovative base isolation system, with assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. It was rededicated by Mayor Elihu Harris on September 15, 1995.
City Hall was designated an Oakland City Landmark in 1979 and listed on the National
Erected by City of Oakland and Oakland Heritage Alliance. (Marker Number 28.)
Location. 37° 48.316′ N, 122° 16.337′ W. Marker is in Oakland, California, in Alameda County. Marker can be reached from Frank H Ogawa Plaza near 14th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Frank H. Ozawa Plaza, Oakland CA 94612, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1946 General Strike (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Latham Memorial Fountain Unveiled (about 500 feet away); Site of College of California (approx. 0.2 miles away); Preservation Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles S. Greene Library (approx. ¼ mile away); Chabot Observatory (approx. ¼ mile away); Lafayette Square Timeline (approx. ¼ mile away); First Unitarian Church of Oakland (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Oakland.
Also see . . . Oakland City Hall - Oakland Wiki. On October 13, 1911, President William Howard Taft laid the cornerstone for the new city hall. When city hall first opened, it included a jail (complete with outside exercise area), a fire station, a police station, and a small hospital. Today (Submitted on March 31, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.