Titusville in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
This site derives its name from the Oliver family who migrated from Missouri and homesteaded this area of Turnbull Hammock in the early 1870ís. They owned large tracts of timberland and citrus groves, and the main “camp” was located on this property. In 1886, L.C. Oliver started a lumber business in Titusville, and dealt in Georgia pine lumber, shingles, and other building supplies. Oliver bought half interest in the Budge & Huckabay Hardware Store in 1888, and renamed the business Oliver & Budge Hardware & Lumber. Budge and Oliver moved to Miami in 1895 and started another hardware and lumber business. Budge bought Oliverís half interest in the Titusville business, and in 1898 sold it to his father-in-law, Captain J. Pritchard, and it became James Pritchard and Son Hardware. In 1918 Oliver and wife Louise sold their Turnbull Hammock 40 acres to Florida Senator J.J. Parrish and wife Emma for $15,000. Parrish was one of the stateís largest citrus grove owners and businessmen during the early 1900ís. Located on this property was a 1910 Craftsman style two-story house that Parrish used as the grove caretakerís residence. Brevard County purchased this property and it is now the location of Chain of Lakes Regional Park.
Location. 28° 38.672′ N, 80° 49.622′ W. Marker is in Titusville, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is at the intersection of Snowy Egret Drive and East Jay Road, on the right when traveling north on Snowy Egret Drive. Click for map. The marker is at the entrance to Chain of Lakes Park. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Dora FL 32756, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. LaGrange/Mims Community Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); LaGrange Community Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site of First Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); LaGrange Community Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Harry T. & Harriette V. Moore Memorial Homesite (approx. 1.3 miles away); Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church of Mims (approx. 1.5 miles away); Titusville Veteran's Memorial Fishing Pier (approx. 2.4 miles away); Scobie Fish & Oyster Company - 1885 (approx. 2.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Titusville.
More about this marker. In some seasons the marker may be partially obscured by overgrowth from the large trees beside it.
Also see . . . Oliver's Camp (Submitted on April 2, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 462 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.