Roswell in Chaves County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The Iron Cross
During World War II a prisoner of war camp was established by the War Department near Orchard Park southeast of Roswell, which housed some 4800 German prisoners of war. On January 1, 1943, the first prisoners arrived here from the “Afrikacorps”, Rommelís men from the 8th Army.
From 1943 to 1946, during the incarceration of these POWs, the men worked as field hands on the many farms in Chaves County, as well as in the Artesia and Mayhill areas. In 1943 a 50-man detail worked on a flood-control project in Roswell by riprapping or laying rocks on the Spring River banks.
On the north bank between Pennsylvania and Kentucky Avenues the POWs used different size rocks to make an iron cross on the bank. Some Roswell citizens were incensed by this and poured five yards of concrete over the POWs handiwork. The concrete washed away over the years, and the Iron Cross is again clearly visible from this point.
Erected 2002 by Historic Preservation Committee, Historical Society for Southeast New Mexico, Inc.
Location. 33° 24.211′ N, 104° 31.589′ W. Marker is in Roswell, New Mexico, in Chaves County. Marker can be reached from West 10th Street 0.1 miles west of North Pennsylvania Click for map. The marker is near the northwest corner of a large concrete deck overlooking Spring River, known as the Spring River Observation Point. This is a small public plaza at the northwest corner of the West 10th Street and North Pennsylvania Avenue intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Roswell NM 88201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roswell Pioneer Plaza (approx. half a mile away); John Simpson Chisum (approx. half a mile away); Justice in the Wild West (approx. half a mile away); Patrick Floyd Jarvis Garrett (approx. half a mile away); Roswell (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named Roswell (approx. 3.5 miles away); a different marker also named Roswell (approx. 5.3 miles away); Louise Massey Mabie (1902-1983) (approx. 10.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Roswell.
More about this marker. It is an engraved silver metal placard, permanently attached to the river fence railing, about waist high. It is positioned directly across Spring River from the original Iron Cross, now clearly visible in the stonework wall lining the river.
Also see . . . Iron Cross built by German prisoners during WWII.
About 4800 prisoners of war were housed in a camp from 1943 (Submitted on May 8, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • War, World II •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 549 times since then and 223 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.