Palm Coast in Flagler County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
This road was built about 1766 when Colonel James Grant was governor of British East Florida. It extended from St. Augustine to Cow Ford (Jacksonville) and north to Colerain, Ga., across the St. Marys River. Later the road was extended south along the Matanzas River. Aided in part by donations from Grantís friends in South Carolina and Georgia, the roadís chief financial backing came from local subscribers. It became a major artery of travel.
Erected 1961 by Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials. (Marker Number F-22.)
Location. 29° 38.191′ N, 81° 15.962′ W. Marker is in Palm Coast, Florida, in Flagler County. Marker is on North Old Kings Road 0.3 miles north of Princess Place Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. The marker is located at the trailhead for the Pellicer Creek Conservation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Palm Coast FL 32137, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Massacre of the French (approx. 5.6 miles away); Fort Matanzas National Monument (approx. 5.7 miles away); Levitt & I.T.T. 'De Bary' Model (approx. Palm Coast, Florida (approx. 6.2 miles away); 5480 Atlantic View (approx. 10.9 miles away); Holden House (approx. 11.8 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Old Kings Road - Tracing the history of Flagler County Florida.
If you drive north on U.S. Route 1 nearing the Flagler County north border line, where it ends near Pellicer Creek, you are passing one of the most historic corners in the United States. At one time, Route 1 was the main avenue into Florida. Here the 1960 era cars would zoom by an then unknown dirt road turnoff that had a small sign designating it as “Old Kings Road”. It began as a road before the American Revolution! (Submitted on April 3, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. An Aerial Photographic Search for the Old King's Road.
The Old King's Road was Florida's first highway, beginning from St Augustine in about 1765 to eventually connect Colerain, Georgia, on the St. Mary's River, passing through the settlement of Cowford (Jacksonville), with the new settlement of New Smyrna on the Florida east coast. The road was constructed by British engineers, following the established trails of indigenous people and using crushed Coquina shell as the surfacing material. Most of the highway has disappeared under pavement; however, traces remain. Aerial photography (Submitted on April 3, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 342 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.