Sampaloc, Manila, Metro Manila, Philippines
University of Santo Tomas
[a.k.a: “U.S.T."; or “Catholic University of the Philppines"]
—Archbishop Miguel de Benavides, O. P. - Founder —
Unang itinatag sa Intramuros bilang Seminaryo ng Colegio de Nuestra Señora del Santisimo Rosario ni Arsobispo Miguel de Benavides, O.P. 28 Abril 1611. Pinangalanang Colegio de Santo Tomas bilang pag-alaala kay Santo Tomas de Aquino, 1625. Naging Universidad. 1645. Ginawaran ng titulong real ni Haring Carlos III, 1785, Tagapangasiwa ng mga paaralan sa Pilipinas, 1865. Isinara noong pangalawang bahagi ng rebolusyong Pilipino laban sa Espanya at digmaang Filipino-Amerikano, 1898-1899. Muling binuksan, 1899, Binigyan ng titulong Pontifical University ni Papa Leo XIII, 1902. Tumanggap ng mga mag-aaral na babae, 1924. Inilipat sa Hacienda Sulucan sa Sampaloc: Pinasinayaan ang pangunahing gusali na dinesenyo ni Padre Roque Ruano, O.P., 1927. Ginamit ng mga Hapon bilang piitan ng mga Amerikanong sibilyan at iba pang mga bihag na kaalyado ng Estados Unidos, 1942-1945. Ginawaran ni Papa Pio XII ng titulong Catholic University of the Philippines, 1947. Kabilang sa mga nag-aral dito ang mga itinanghal na Santo at martir ng simbahan, at mga bayaning Pilipino tulad Nina Jose Rizal, Emilio Jacinto, Marcelo H. Del Pilar at Apolinario Mabini; at mga naging Pangulo ng Pilipinas na sina Manuel L. Quezon, Sergio Osmeña, Jose P. Laurel at Diosdado Macapagal, Ipinahayag na Pambansang palatandaang
O.P., Dominicans, Blackfriars
Founded by Archbishop Miguel de Benavides, O.P. Originally conceived as a Seminary, and initially called Colegio de Nuestra Señora del Santisimo Rosario (Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary) it was first erected in Intramuros, 28 April 1611. Later renamed Colegio de Santo Tomas in memory of St. Thomas Aquinas, 1625. Elevated to the rank of a university, 1645. Bestowed the title "The Royal University" by King Carlos III of Spain, 1785. Administrator of institutions of learning throughout the country, 1865. Closed its doors during the second phase of the Philippine Revolution against Spain and the Philippine-American War, 1898-1899. Re-opened, 1899. Given the title "Pontifical University" by Pope Leo XIII, 1902. Admitted its first female students, 1924. Relocated to Hacienda Sulucan in Sampaloc. The Main Building designed by Fr. Roque Ruaéo, O.P. was inaugurated, 1927. Used by the Japanese Occupation forces as an internment camp for captured American civilians and Allied civilian POWs 1942-1945. Granted the title "Catholic University" by Pope Pius XII, 1947. Among those who attended this school later became saints and martyrs of the church, and also heroes like José Rizal, Emilio Jacinto,
Erected 2011 by National Historical Commission of the Philippines. (Marker Number NHCP No. 5.)
Location. 14° 36.564′ N, 120° 59.392′ E. Marker is in Sampaloc, Manila, Metro Manila. Marker is on UST's Plaza Mayor at Dr. José Rizal Lane 0.3 kilometers north of España Blvd. when traveling south. Click for map. The bronze statue of Archbishop Miguel de Benavides, O.P. was cast in France in 1885 - sculptor, Tony Noel. It was originally installed at the UST campus in Intramuros, Manila in 1888; and it was re-erected at the Sampaloc, Manila campus in 1947 following World War II. Marker is in this post office area: Sampaloc, Manila, Metro Manila 1015, Philippines.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Santo Tomas Internment Camp (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named University of Santo Tomas (within shouting distance of this marker); William J. Burke (approx. 1.7 kilometers away in Manila); Philippine Post Office (approx. 1.9 kilometers away in Manila); Roman Ongpin (approx. 2 kilometers away in Manila); Ang Simbahan ng Binondo (approx. 2 kilometers away in Manila); Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary Parish Church (approx. 2 kilometers away); Manila Metropolitan Theater (approx. 2 kilometers away in Manila). Click for a list of all markers in Sampaloc, Manila.
Regarding University of Santo Tomas.
The Most Reverend Miguel de Benavides,"O.P.",
Archbishop of Manila: born c. 1552, died 26 July 1605.
["O.P.": i.e. the "Order of Preachers"; a.k.a. the "Dominicans" or the "Blackfriars"].
Also see . . .
1. Statue of Archbishop Miguel de Benavides, O. P. - erected 1889. (Submitted on March 16, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Archbishop Miguel de Benavides. (Submitted on March 16, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
3. History of the University of Santo Tomas. (Submitted on March 24, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. "UST"; sculptor, Tony Noel, 1889; Maynila
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education • War, World II •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 510 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.