Danbury in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
248 Main Street
248 Main Street
This handsome Victorian Romanesque building was built as the new headquarters for the Danbury National Bank in 1887.
The architect, Warren Biggs of Bridgeport, used stone from Massachusetts. The building is constructed of Longmeadow brownstone with red Chicopee stone trim. All of the stone carving was done on the construction site and the name of the bank remains over the entrance. This is the only true brownstone building on Main Street.
The Danbury National Bank moved out of this building in 1924. Thomas Settle and four employees moved into the building in 1940. The Settle Agency continues to occupy the building to this day.
The original steep gables on the third floor were destroyed by fire in 1973. The upper story was rebuilt in 1989.
Location. 41° 23.711′ N, 73° 27.206′ W. Marker is in Danbury, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Library Place, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Click for map. Located on the old Danbury National Bank Building. Marker is in this post office area: Danbury CT 06810, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Seal of the City (a few steps from this marker); Charles Edward Ives – The Father of Modern Music (a few steps from this marker); Marian Anderson (within shouting distance of this marker); Danbury Fair Days (within shouting distance of this marker); Danbury – The Hat City (within shouting distance of this marker); Trains, Trolleys & Transportation (within shouting distance of this marker); The Danbury Fire Department (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Savings Bank of Danbury at Bankersí Row (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Danbury.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 327 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.