Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Victoria in Capital Regional District, British Columbia — The Canadian Pacific
 

Estate of the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia

Le Domaine du Lieutenant-Gouverneur de la Colombie-Britannique

 
 
Estate of the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Lester, November 14, 2013
1. Estate of the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia Marker
Inscription. This magnificent estate, residence of the Crown's representatives in British Columbia, is a cultural landscape that boasts a long and remarkable association with this high office. In 1865 the government of the colony purchased Cary Castle, a house located on this site, to serve as the residence of the governor of Vancouver Island. When British Columbia entered Confederation in 1871, Cary Castle became the home to the province's lieutenant governors. The present structure, built in 1957-1959, is the third official residence to occupy the site. Its porte-cochere is a link with the past, in that it was part of the previous building destroyed by fire. The grounds of the estate, originally laid out in the early 20th century under a succession of lieutenant governors, include Picturesque gardens that are constantly evolving, a fine shaded pond, mature trees and a rare Garry Oak ecosystem. The outbuildings, known as the Mews and constructed between 1872 and 1903, are reminders of how a great estate was run in the 19th century. The rich mosaic of varying landscapes gives a charm to an estate that is a notable part of the history of British Columbia.

Ce magnifique domaine, lieu de résidence des représentants de la Couronne en Colombie-Britannique, constitue un paysage culturel qui se distingue par une longue et remarquable association à cette haute fonction. Dès 1865, le gouvernement de la colonie y acquiert une maison, baptisée Cary Castle, pour loger les gouverneurs de l'Île de Vancouver. Lorsque la Colombie-Britannique adhère à la Confédération en 1871, Cary Castle devient la résidence des lieutenants-gouverneurs de la province. L'acutelle demeure, bâtie en 1957-1959, est la troisième résidence officielle à occuper les lieux; la présence de la porte cochère, provenant de la maison précédente détruite dans un incendie, assure un lien avec la passé. Les terrains, aménagés à partir du début du XXe siècle grâce à l'initiative de plusieurs lieutenants-gouverneurs, comprennent des jardins de caractère pittoresque en constante évolution, un bel étang ombragé, de grands arbres matures et un précieux écosystème de chênes de Garry. Les communs construits entre 1872 et 1903 rappellent le mode de vie propre à une grande demeure au XIXe siècle. Cette riche mosaïque de paysages variés confère un cachet à ce domaine si étroitement lié à l'histoire de la Colombie-Britannique.
 
Erected 2003 by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
 
Location. 48° 25.093′ N, 123° 20.415′ W. Marker is in Victoria, British Columbia, in Capital Regional District. Marker can be reached from Rockland Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1401 Rockland Avenue, Victoria, British Columbia V8S 1W3, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Government House (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Sir James Douglas, KCB (about 150 meters away); Stone Boundary Marker (about 180 meters away); Order of Canada / Ordre du Canada (about 180 meters away); Hosaqami (about 180 meters away); Royal and Distinguished Visitors (about 180 meters away); The Role of the Lieutenant Governor (about 210 meters away); Sir Anthony Musgrave (about 210 meters away). Click for a list of all markers in Victoria.
 
Categories. Politics
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Lester of Victoria, BC, Canada. This page has been viewed 354 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. Photo   1. submitted on , by Andrew Lester of Victoria, BC, Canada. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement