Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Victoria in Capital Regional District, British Columbia — The Canadian Pacific
 

Tiger Company Fire Hall

1880 - 1899

 
 
Tiger Company Fire Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Lester, December 31, 2013
1. Tiger Company Fire Hall Marker
Inscription. The Tiger Company was one of three volunteer fire companies dedicated to protecting Victoria's growing business district during the late 1800s. By the 1870s, there was a need to replace the Tiger's original fire hall on Johnson Street but it was not until November 1880 that the company moved into a new fire hall built on the southwest corner of Victoria City Hall. The entrance to the fire hall was located at the arched doorway just around the corner from where you are now standing.

On January 1, 1886, the City of Victoria assumed responsibility for the fire department. Its volunteer firefighters, which included the Deluge Company, the Union Hook and Ladder Company, and the Tiger Company, were replaced with paid firefighters, with the volunteer companies serving as unofficial reserves. The Tiger Company Fire Hall was renamed the Victoria Fire Department No. 1 Hall and served citizens for more than a decade. In May 1899, it was replaced by a new and much larger Headquarters Fire Hall on Cormorant Street, which remained in use until 1959.

The Victoria Fire Department's first turntable aerial apparatus is shown during a training practice next to where you are standing. (Photo at right.) Built in 1889 by the Preston Company, the rig was well equipped with a 70-foot (21-metre) turntable aerial ladder, four ground ladders,
The Tiger Company Fire Hall portion of the building image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Lester, December 31, 2013
2. The Tiger Company Fire Hall portion of the building
two roof ladders, two fire extinguishers and assorted fire fighting equipment. The "truck" was drawn by horses and could be steered by the rear axle in order to facilitate turning sharp corners rapidly.
 
Erected 2013.
 
Location. 48° 25.695′ N, 123° 21.914′ W. Marker is in Victoria, British Columbia, in Capital Regional District. Marker is on Pandora Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Centennial Square, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1P5, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Victoria Fire Department Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Japanese Internment (within shouting distance of this marker); Wesleyan Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Victoria City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); McPherson Playhouse (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Fifth Regiment of Garrison Artillery (about 120 meters away); Chinese General Store (about 120 meters away); Cast Iron Panels (about 150 meters away). Click for a list of all markers in Victoria.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Victoria City Hall image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Lester, December 31, 2013
3. Victoria City Hall
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Lester of Victoria, BC, Canada. This page has been viewed 305 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Andrew Lester of Victoria, BC, Canada. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement