“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stockton in Cedar County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)

Cedar County

Cedar County Marker (side 1) image. Click for full size.
By Tru Chamberlain, April 4, 2014
1. Cedar County Marker (side 1)
(side 1)
Here where the Ozark Highland borders on the Western Prairie region of Missouri, Cedar County was organized in 1845. The name is for the trees along Cedar Creek. Stockton, the county seat, was platted in 1846 on land given by Zimri and Marian Crabtree was first named Lancaster. Another town in Mo. also took this name, so Cedar Countians called their town Fremont until, displeased with political views of Gen. John C. Fremont, they took the name honoring Mexican War Commander R.F. Stockton in 1859.

Cedar County, furnishing troops to both sides, was torn by violence in the Civil War. In Aug., 1862, Union Majors Douglas Dade and Samuel Montgomery drove Confed. Col. J.T. Coffee from Stockton and on July 11, 1863, Confed. Major T.R. Livingston and Union Lt. W.A. McMinn were killed in an affray there. Gen. J.O. Shelby routed a Federal garrison and burned the courthouse on Oct. 5, 1863.

The present courthouse in Stockton is a handsome monolithic concrete structure. It was dedicated in 1940. The first courthouse, 1855-63, was replaced by a second in 1867 which was torn down in 1940.
(See other side )
(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
Cedar County, 317,440 acres of woodland and prairie, is a livestock, grain, and
Cedar County Marker (side 2) image. Click for full size.
By Tru Chamberlain, April 4, 2014
2. Cedar County Marker (side 2)
dairy area. Osage tribes ceded the region in 1808 but Indians roamed in the county into the 1830's and some 95 mounds and a village site remain in Cedar County. First settlers were John Crisp, Robert Graham, Thomas English, and a "Mr." Crump in 1832. They located two miles east of Stockton where a big hollow sycamore gave them partial shelter. Early settlers came largely from Tennessee.

In Cedar County is El Dorado Springs, one of Missouri's health resorts. Mineral springs were discovered by the Joshua Hightower family and a town laid out there by N.H. and W.P. Cruce in 1881. To the south, about the same time Jerico Springs grew up near another spring. A number of Germans and Bohemians settled in that area. The spring in Stockton's City Park issues from a cave which underlies the town.

Stockton is the birthplace of the noted veterinarian J.W. Connaway (1859-1947); and soldier, congressman, Lieutenant Governor of Missouri Joseph J. Gravelly (1828-72) lived in Cedar County.
Erected 1958 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 37° 41.889′ N, 93° 47.78′ W. Marker is in Stockton,
View of Marker and Cedar County Courthouse looking West image. Click for full size.
By Tru Chamberlain, 2012
3. View of Marker and Cedar County Courthouse looking West
Missouri, in Cedar County. Marker is on South Street (Missouri Route 39) south of Wells Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 113 South Street, Stockton MO 65785, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away).
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
Cedar County Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 18, 2012
4. Cedar County Marker
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tru Chamberlain of Overland Park, Kansas. This page has been viewed 298 times since then and 41 times this year. Last updated on , by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Tru Chamberlain of Overland Park, Kansas.   3. submitted on , by Tru Chamberlain of Overland Park, Kansas.   4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement