Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Smyrna Beach in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

1768 British Colony of New Smyrna

 
 
1768 British Colony of New Smyrna Marker image. Click for full size.
By Glenn Sheffield, June 3, 2012
1. 1768 British Colony of New Smyrna Marker
Inscription. During Florida's British Colonial period, 1763-1783, Doctor Andrew Turnbull established the largest North American colony at this site. Approximately 1300 Minorcans, Greeks, and Italians comprised the colony named after Smyrna, Asia Minor, the birthplace of Dr. Turnbull's wife.

The colony experienced success in producing indigo dye, rice, hemp, and other crops for shipment to England. Buildings, wharfs, and a canal system, still visible today, were constructed.

Despite successes, after nine years the colony failed. Approximately 600 survivors of the colony relocated to St. Augustine where many descendants reside.
 
Erected 1998 by the James Emery Chapter, National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
 
Location. 29° 1.624′ N, 80° 55.297′ W. Marker is in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker is at the intersection of North Riverside Drive and Julia Street, on the left when traveling north on North Riverside Drive. Click for map. The marker is located along the eastern edge of Old Fort Park, directly across from the city marina. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 North Riverside Drive, New Smyrna Beach FL 32168, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
1768 British Colony of New Smyrna Marker image. Click for full size.
By Glenn Sheffield, June 3, 2012
2. 1768 British Colony of New Smyrna Marker
The marker can be seen in the center, mounted on the wall.
of this marker. Site of Sheldon's New Smyrna Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Anniversary of Shelling by Union Gunboats (within shouting distance of this marker); To the Past... (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Andrew Turnbull (about 500 feet away); Turnbull Canal (about 500 feet away); The New Smyrna Odyssey (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Old Stone Wharf (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old St. Rita Colored Mission Church (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in New Smyrna Beach.
 
More about this marker. The metal marker plaque is capped with the emblem of the Colonial Dames XVII Century and is mounted on a wall facing the street.

Inside the wall is an earthen elevation containing the remains of an ancient Native American shell mound. Built into the mound is a fortress-like foundation of quarried coquina, the exact origin of which is unknown. These features have been listed with the National Register of Historic Places under the name Old Fort Park Archeological Site. Additionally, the site and marker both lie inside the boundaries of the New Smyrna Beach Historic District, also recognized by the NRHP.
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
1768 British Colony of New Smyrna Marker image. Click for full size.
By Glenn Sheffield, June 3, 2012
3. 1768 British Colony of New Smyrna Marker
A few feet from the marker are the "Turnbull Ruins", the exact origin of which is unknown. They are part of the Old Fort Park Archeological Site.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 337 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement