Near Faunsdale in Marengo County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
St. Michael's Episcopal Churchyard
1844 - Dr. Thomas & Louisa Harrison gave acre of their Faunsdale Plantation for a log church designated Union Parish.
1852 - name changed to St. Michaelís Parish.
1855 - slave artisans Peter Lee and Joe Glasgow built Gothic Revival-style church.
1888 - church disassembled and moved to town of Faunsdale.
1932 - destroyed by tornado; much of the interior wood salvaged for new brick church building.
Northern part of churchyard has graves of slave communicants.
Oldest marked grave - Dr. Harrison - 1858.
Erected 2001 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 26.184′ N, 87° 36.542′ W. Marker is near Faunsdale, Alabama, in Marengo County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 54 and County Route 59, on the right when traveling west on County Road 54. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Faunsdale AL 36738, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Michael's Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Freetown (approx. 5.2 miles away); Church of the Holy Cross (approx. 5.5 miles away); Green Gables Dr. Benjamin M. Duggar (approx. 7.4 miles away); St. Andrewís Church (approx. 7.4 miles away); Oak Grove School (approx. 8.7 miles away); Bethel Baptist Church & Cemetery (approx. 10.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Faunsdale Plantation. (Submitted on April 13, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 377 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.