Three Rivers in Saint Joseph County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 1925 by Abiel Fellow Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 41° 55.97′ N, 85° 38.258′ W. Marker is in Three Rivers, Michigan, in Saint Joseph County. Marker is at the intersection of Constantine Street and W. Broadway Street, on the right when traveling north on Constantine Street. Click for map. Marker is located at the northeast corner of the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Three Rivers MI 49093, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. French Trading Post (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Legendary Battle (approx. 0.7 miles away); Three Rivers Town Cannon (approx. 0.7 miles away); Three Rivers (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sue Silliman House (approx. 0.8 miles away but has been reported missing); Historic District (approx. 0.9 miles away); Old Three Rivers Public Library (approx. 0.9 miles away); Three Rivers Soldiers Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Three Rivers.
More about this marker.
Regarding Moab. From the article "Paper Villages of St. Joseph County" by Sue I. Silliman, State Historian D.A.R.:
“Moab’s first settlement was made in 1827. It was platted July 28, 1830, by Christopher Shinnaman, with Neal McGaffy Justice of the Peace and J.W. Anderson Register of Deeds. The description was a surprise:–S. ½ of N.W. ¼ of Sec. 19, T. 6 S. R. 11 W., just north of the old Jacob Neidhart property, and includes at least a portion of the present King addition. The lots were to be 66 ft. wide, 157 deep. Water street was to run in a “northeasterly” direction along the river; Kalamazoo St. Was to run north and south, quite probably the present Constantine Street. Spring St. was to parallel Kalamazoo. Main St. was to run east and west and was to be 66 ft. wide. Of the proprietor we have found no other record than in the transfer of land titles. Concerning this paper village, so near home, we find it included 138 and a fraction acres, was deeded to Christopher Shinnaman May 21, 1830, by Abraham and Molly Brechart, the said Molly making avadavit that her husband did not compel her to sign. The deed was registered by Jno. Anderson, R. of D. The same day this worthy couple deeded 83 acres adjoining Moab to Jacob Shinnaman for $132.50. Moab’s 138 acres
Source: Michigan History Magazine, Volume IV, October-December 1920: 591-592. Print.
In 1871 the city of Three Rivers extended its corporate limits to include Moab as part of the 3rd Ward.
Source: Lockport Township, Michigan website, http://www.lockporttwp.com/?page_id=117, accessed April 14, 2014.
1. Moab Village Site
The former village of Moab is roughly bounded by W. Broadway Street, S. Hooker Avenue, Hill Street, and the St. Joseph River. The marker is located near the southern boundary of the village.
— Submitted April 16, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 218 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.