“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

The Knott House

The Knott House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 6, 2014
1. The Knott House Marker
Inscription. Evidence points to George Proctor, a free black man, as the probable builder of this structure in 1843. The house was a wedding gift for Catherine Gamble, the bride of attorney Thomas Hagner. In 1865 the house was used as temporary Union Headquarters by Brigadier General Edward McCook. On May 20th, 1865, McCook read the Emancipation Proclamation from the front steps of the house, declaring freedom for all slaves in the Florida Panhandle.

After the Civil War a locally prominent physician, George Betton, bought the house, bringing with him a young buggy driver named William Gunn, a former slave. When Gunn expressed an interest in learning medicine, Betton funded his study at medical school and helped him establish a practice in Tallahassee. Gunn became Florida's first black physician.

In 1928 the Knott family acquired the house, had the front columns added, and lived here until 1985. William Knott served athe State of Florida for over forty years as its first State Tax Auditor, as Comptroller, and Treasurer. His wife Luella Knott was an artist, musician, and poet. She named her home "The House That Rhymes," and filled it with Victorian era furnishings. Almost every piece is adorned with a poem narrating history and moral lessons, written with charm and wit. Luella was also a political activist. The sale of alcohol was banned
The Knott House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 6, 2014
2. The Knott House
in the state's capital for over fifty years, in part because of Mrs. Knott's involvement with the temperance movement.
Erected 1998 by Florida Heritage Landmark sponsored by the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-392.)
Location. 30° 26.508′ N, 84° 16.759′ W. Marker is in Tallahassee, Florida, in Leon County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Park Avenue and S. Calhoun Street on E. Park Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tallahassee FL 32301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leon County's American Revolutionary War Soldiers (within shouting distance of this marker); Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lewis Bank (about 800 feet away); John Gilmore Riley House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Florida Sri Chinmoy Peace State (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Florida Liberty Bell Replica (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Capitol of Florida (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Tallahassee.
Categories. African AmericansArts, Letters, MusicScience & MedicineWar, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 257 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement