Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bethesda in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Mary Woodard Lasker Center for Health Research and Education

 
 
The Mary Woodard Lasker Center for Health Research and Education Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 17, 2014
1. The Mary Woodard Lasker Center for Health Research and Education Marker
Inscription. Mary Woodward Lasker (1900-1994), with her husband Albert, founded the Albert and Mary Lasker Foundation in 1942 to deepen the national commitment to medical science, and to raise awareness of extraordinary basic and clinical research discoveries which advanced progress against life threatening diseases and painful disabilities. With a passion, political astuteness, and indefatigable energy, she advocated relentlessly and persuasively for deepening funding for the National Institutes of Health and for supporting research excellence. Her vision of a world free of suffering and premature death for people everywhere guided her missionary zeal to encourage public and private support for advancing scientific knowledge.

Mrs. Lasker influenced the creation of the National Cancer Institute and the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute among other Federal facilities established to deal with enemies of human health including heart disease, arthritis, mental health, neurological disease, blindness and problems in human reproduction. Her efforts to influence legislation for funding cancer research culminated in the National Cancer Act of 1971, a bill that made the conquest of cancer a national goal.

Mary Woodward Lasker's sixty-year crusade on behalf of human health extended and improved the lives of millions of people throughout
The Mary Woodard Lasker Center for Health Research and Education Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 17, 2014
2. The Mary Woodard Lasker Center for Health Research and Education Marker
the world. She received a grateful nation's highest honors for strengthening support for medical research and for laying the foundation for the National Institutes of Health to become the leading research center in the world. She received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1969. In 1984 Congress honored Mary Lasker by naming this Center for her, and in 1989 she was recipient of the Congressional Gold Medal.
 
Location. 39° 0.138′ N, 77° 6.536′ W. Marker is in Bethesda, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Cloister Drive near Center Drive. Click for map. Marker in in front of Building 60 -- The Cloisters -- on the NIH campus. Marker is in this post office area: Bethesda MD 20892, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Walter Johnson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tree of Hippocrates (approx. mile away); At This Location (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Louis Stokes Laboratories (approx. 0.4 miles away); President Franklin D. Roosevelt (approx. half a mile away); The Centennial Anchor (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Tree of Hippocrates (approx. 0.7 miles away but has been reported missing); Old Spring House & Pool of Bethesda (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bethesda.
 
Also see . . .
The Mary Woodard Lasker Center for Health Research and Education Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 17, 2014
3. The Mary Woodard Lasker Center for Health Research and Education Marker

1. The Lasker Foundation. (Submitted on April 19, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
2. Mary Lasker. Biographical Information, Profiles in Science, National Library of Medicine. (Submitted on April 19, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 

3. Building 60 - The Cloisters. NIH Office of Research Facilities. (Submitted on April 19, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Science & Medicine
 
The Mary Woodard Lasker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 17, 2014
4. The Mary Woodard Lasker
Close-up of image on marker
Congressional Gold Medal image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 17, 2014
5. Congressional Gold Medal
Close-up of image on marker
Presidential Medal of Freedom image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 17, 2014
6. Presidential Medal of Freedom
Close-up of image on marker
The Cloisters -- Building 60 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 17, 2014
7. The Cloisters -- Building 60
The Lasker Center shares the Cloisters with the Howard Hughes Research Scholars Program of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), and the Foundation for Advanced Education in the Sciences (FAES). The Cloisters was the Convent of the Sisters of the Visitation.
Cornerstone image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 17, 2014
8. Cornerstone
Built in 1922, the former Visitation Convent is the oldest building on the NIH campus.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 274 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   7, 8. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement