“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Phoenix in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)

Maricopa County Courthouse

Maricopa County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Wyndfire, April 13, 2014
1. Maricopa County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. The Maricopa County Courthouse was originally built in 1928-1929 by both Maricopa County and the City of Phoenix. The County Courthouse portion of the building was designed by a Louisiana architect. Edward F. Neild. The City chose the Phoenix firm of Lescher and Mahoney to construct a city hall. Although unified in its earlier appearance, the building was designed as two independent buildings in the Neo-Classical and Spanish Colonial Revival styles. The exterior is constructed of terra cotta and poured concrete with bronze and polished granite details and red clay roofing tiles. The Maricopa County Courthouse reflects the growth of the State of Arizona and the City of Phoenix during the decades prior to World War II.
This property has been placed on the
National Register of Historic Places
and the
Phoenix Historic Property Register.

Maricopa County Board of Supervisors
Fulton Brock Don Stapley Andrew Kunasek Max W. Wilson Mary Rose Garrido Wilcox

County Manager David R. Smith
Preserving Arizona's Heritage

Erected by Maricopa County.
Location. 33° 26.892′ N, 112° 4.546′ W. Marker is in Phoenix, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker is
Maricopa County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Wyndfire, April 13, 2014
2. Maricopa County Courthouse
at the intersection of West Washington Street and 1st Avenue when traveling south on West Washington Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 West Washington Street, Phoenix AZ 85003, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Orpheum Theatre (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); J. W. Walker/Central Arizona Light & Power Building (about 600 feet away); Hotel San Carlos (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chambers Transfer & Storage Company Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Santa Fe Freight Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); Saint Mary's Basilica (approx. 0.4 miles away); Father Edouard Gerard (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rosson House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Phoenix.
Regarding Maricopa County Courthouse. This is now known as the "Old Courthouse". The City Hall is no longer in this building.
Categories. Notable Buildings
Courthouse Plaza Fountain image. Click for full size.
By Wyndfire, April 13, 2014
3. Courthouse Plaza Fountain
Courthouse Plaza Fountain Marker #1 image. Click for full size.
By Wyndfire, April 13, 2014
4. Courthouse Plaza Fountain Marker #1
In Memory Of Lieut. Jack W. Swilling, 1831-1878, who built the first modern irrigation ditch and Trinidad, his wife, 1850-1925, who established in 1868 the first pioneer home in the Salt River Valley Erected by Maricopa Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1931
Courthouse Plaza Fountain Marker #2 image. Click for full size.
By Wyndfire, April 13, 2014
5. Courthouse Plaza Fountain Marker #2
Restored through the generosity of the Maricopa County Bar Association, Judges and Lawyers of Maricopa County, The Salt River Project, The City of Phoenix, Paddock Pools, Maricopa County Government AD 2000
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Wyndfire of Phoenix, Arizona. This page has been viewed 276 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Wyndfire of Phoenix, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement