“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santa Fe in Santa Fe County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)

Cross of the Martyrs

Cruz de los Mártires

Cross of the Martyrs Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 19, 2014
1. Cross of the Martyrs Marker
Inscription. In 1598 a group of Spanish colonists, led by Juan de Oñate of Zacatecas, Mexico, established a settlement along the banks of the Rio Grande north of present-day Española. In 1610 Governor Pedro de Peralta relocated the capital of the province to Santa Fe. Between 1610 and 1680, colonists moved into New Mexico, living primarily along the Rio Grande. Franciscan friars established missions at most of the Indian pueblos. Life was not always peaceful. In order to regain control of their homeland, in 1680, many pueblo people, led by Popé, a San Juan Indian, united to drive the colonists out. Twenty-one Franciscan friars and numerous colonists were killed in what has come to be called the Pueblo Revolt. The rest of the settlerss fled south to El Paso del Norte. It was not until 1693 that the province was resettled under the leadership of Governor Diego de Vargas.

The cross, which commemorates the deaths of the friars and colonists, was designed by Ralph Emerson Twitchell, Edgar L. Street, and Warren G. Turley. It was constructed of reinforced concrete by the Midland Bridge Company, stands 25 feet high, is eight feet in depth, and weighs 76 tons. The cross was dedicated during the Santa Fe Fiesta in 1920. Another Cross of the Martyrs has been erected on Fort Marcy Hill by the Fiesta Council.

En 1598, pobladores Españoles,
Cross of the Martyrs and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 19, 2014
2. Cross of the Martyrs and Marker
Marker is visible behind the bush on the left.
dirigidos por Juan de Oñate, de Zacatecas, México, establecieron una colonia al lado del Rio Grande en un sitio localizado al norte de la presente ciudad de Española. En 1610, el Gobernador Pedro de Peralta cambió la capital de la provincia a Santa Fe. Desde 1610 hasta 1680, colonos vinieron a vivir en Nuevo México principalmente en los márgenes del Rio Grande. Friales Franciscanos establecieron misiones en casi todos los pueblos Indios, pero no siempre fue la vida placible. En 1680, la mayoría de estos pueblos indígenos, dirigidos por Popé, se juntaron para establecer su propia autoridad sobre este país, y echaron afuera los colonos españoles. 21 frailes y números colonos murieron en lo que hoy le dicen “La Rebelión de los Pueblos.” Los sobrevivientes colonos se escaparon para El Paso del Norte. No regresaron los españoles a esta provincia hasta 1693, bajo la dirección del Gobernador Diego de Vargas.

Esta cruz, una conmemoración de la muerte de los frailes y colonos, fue diseñada por Ralph Emerson Twitchell, Edgar L. Street, y Walter G. Turley. Fue construida de cimento reforzado por el Midland Bridge Company, y tiene 25 pies de altura, 8 pies de ancha y pesa 76 toneladas. La cruz fue dedicada durante la Fiesta de Santa Fe en 1920. Otra Cruz de los Mártires fue levantada en el cerro de Fort Marcy por el Concilio de la Fiesta.
Cross of the Martyrs Monument image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 19, 2014
3. Cross of the Martyrs Monument
Brass plaque reads, “Cross of the Martyrs. Erected by members of the Knights of Columbus and the Historical Society of New Mexico in memory of the Franciscan friars who were killed by the Pueblo Indians in the Revolution in the Province of New Mexico August 9th and 10th A.D. 1680.”
1994 by Historic Santa Fe Foundation.
Location. 35° 41.726′ N, 105° 56.346′ W. Marker is in Santa Fe, New Mexico, in Santa Fe County. Marker is on Paseo de la Loma just north of Paseo de la Cuma, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. From Paseo De Peralta, take Old Taos Highway north to the first left, Paseo de La Cuma, then take the second right which is Paseo de la Loma. Monument is in a residential area with narrow dirt streets. There is space for one car to park on the street across from the railroad-tie steps that lead up to the monument. Marker is at or near this postal address: 622 Paseo de la Loma, Santa Fe NM 87501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Founding of Santa Fe (approx. ¼ mile away); The Old Spanish Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1712 (approx. half a mile away); Fray Angélico Chávez (approx. half a mile away); 1876 (approx. half a mile away); 1692 (approx. half a mile away); 1776 (approx. half a mile away); 1680 (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Santa Fe.
Regarding Cross of the Martyrs. This Cross of the Martyrs Monument has been replaced by a new Cross of the Martyrs Monument at Hilside Park (Fort Marcy Park) on Paseo de Peralta between Otero Street and
New Mexico State Capitol image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 19, 2014
4. New Mexico State Capitol
View towards downtown Santa Fe from the first Cross of the Martyrs Monument.
Hillside Avenue.
Also see . . .  Cross of the Martyrs Property. Entry on the Historic Santa Fe Foundation website. Page includes a copy of the photograph shown on the marker. “Overlooking Santa Fe, this reinforced concrete cross stands 25 feet tall and weighs 76 tons. It commemorates the death of 21 Franciscan friars and numerous Spanish colonists during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. It was dedicated during Santa Fe Fiesta of 1920 and was the site of candlelight processions for many years. In 1925 the fiesta procession attracted about 3000 people, and bonfires on the hillside illuminated the cross. The Near North Neighborhood Association donated the Cross to HSFF in 1993. It is not to be confused with a later cross erected near the ruins of Fort Marcy.” (Submitted on April 19, 2014.) 
Categories. Colonial EraWars, US Indian
Street View of the Cross of the Martyrs Monument image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 19, 2014
5. Street View of the Cross of the Martyrs Monument
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 273 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement