Near Porter in Wagoner County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
This Creek Indian school was founded by Rev. R.M. Loughridge, Presbyterian Bd. [Board] Foreign Miss. [Missions], 1848. Rev. W.S. Robertson was employed as the supt. Rebuilt by Creeks when destroyed by fire in 1880. Operated until 1907 for Freedmen.
Erected 1995 by Oklahoma Daughters of American Colonists and Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 85.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society marker series.
Location. 35° 49.941′ N, 95° 24.153′ W. Marker is near Porter, Oklahoma, in Wagoner County. Marker is on U.S. 69 0.4 miles north of 820th Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at a roadside pullout. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6290 U.S. Highway 69, Porter OK 74454, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chief Pushmataha (here, next to this marker); Wigwam Neosho (a few steps from this marker); Oklahoma's First Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); Texas Road (approx. 4.8 miles away); Fort Davis (approx. Thomas-Foreman House (approx. 5.5 miles away); State's Earliest Oil Refinery (approx. 7.2 miles away); Semore Park (approx. 8.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Porter.
Also see . . .
1. Tullahassee. (Submitted on April 21, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Tullahassee Mission. (Submitted on April 21, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Churches, Etc. • Native Americans •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.