Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Shiloh Baptist Church (New Site)

 
 
Shiloh Baptist Church (New Site) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, November 11, 2006
1. Shiloh Baptist Church (New Site) Marker
Inscription. In 1886, the African Baptist Church, on Sophia Street, sustained serious flood damage. The congregation purchased a new site on higher ground, but a clouded deed delayed construction. In the interim, approximately half of the members decided to rebuild their church on the old site. The other half erected the sanctuary in front of you, in 1890, and named it the Shiloh Baptist Church (New Site).

At that time African-Americans sought to overcome racial discrimination through education. In 1906, Joseph Walker and a group of like-minded citizens decided to provide a high school for black students, since Fredericksburg Colored School was limited to the elementary grades. They established the Fredericksburg Normal and Industrial Institute, which opened in the basement of the Shiloh Baptist Church (New Site), but eventually moved to a more permanent location in what would later become the black community of Mayfield.

(sidebar) The cornerstone for the Shiloh Baptist Church (New Site), laid in June 1890, came from the old pro-slavery Methodist Church. Sealed within it was a Bible, a roll of names related to the church, a silver
Joseph Walker image. Click for full size.
2. Joseph Walker
Closeup of marker. Caption reads: Joseph Walker was born a slave, in Spotsylvania County, in 1854. He was a leading member of the Shiloh Baptist Church (New Site) and a strong proponent of education.
and a greenback dollar, the Grand Army of the Republic badge of Union veteran Benjamin F. Ross (54th Massachusetts Infantry), and a resolution of thanks to P.V.D. Conway (brother of local abolitionist Moncure Conway) who had donated the stone.
 
Erected by City of Fredericksburg, Virginia.
 
Location. 38° 17.969′ N, 77° 27.501′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Princess Anne Street (Virginia Route 2) and Wolfe Street on Princess Anne Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Vibrant, But Segregated Community (here, next to this marker); Mt. Zion Baptist Church (here, next to this marker); Fredericksburg (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fredericksburg (about 500 feet away); John Paul Jones House (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fredericksburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. African American History of Fredericksburg, Virginia
Shiloh Baptist Church (New Site) and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., August 20, 2010
3. Shiloh Baptist Church (New Site) and Marker
. by Ruth Fitzgerald on HistoryPoint.org (Submitted on December 3, 2006.) 

2. Shiloh Baptist Church (New Site) Church History. This history on the church's website. (Submitted on December 3, 2006.) 
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.EducationNotable Buildings
 
Shiloh Baptist Church (New Site) image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, November 11, 2006
4. Shiloh Baptist Church (New Site)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,878 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.   3. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   4. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement