Sherman in Grayson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Courthouses of Grayson County
From pioneer log cabins to a native Texas limestone structure, Grayson County courthouses have taken many shapes and sizes since the county's establishment in 1846. The first courthouse, a frame building on bald prairie a few miles west of the current county seat, was completed in 1847 for a cost of $232. It served for one year, until Sherman was relocated to this site, and the Commissioners Court ordered the construction of a log cabin on the southeast corner of the square. Neither it, nor the third courthouse (a two-story frame building on the north side of the square), nor the 1853 brick fourth courthouse were in service for any substantial period of time. An 1859 courthouse, intended to provide the county with a large and structurally sound facility, fell into disuse by the early 1870s.
Thus, by the time the Houston & Texas Central Railroad reached Sherman in 1873, Grayson County had seen five courthouses in fewer than 40 years. The coming of the railroad was a boon to the local economy, and the availability of better building materials led to the construction of the majestic 1876 courthouse - a two-story edifice with tower supporting a cupola containing a clock and a bell - which served the county until it burned in 1930. Due to the Depression, it was six years before the current limestone courthouse was built,
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12500.)
Location. 33° 38.139′ N, 96° 36.571′ W. Marker is in Sherman, Texas, in Grayson County. Marker is on Lamar Street (Texas Route 56) east of Crockett Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is on the south grounds of the county courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West Houston Street, Sherman TX 75090, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Butterfield Overland Mail Route Through Grayson County (here, next to this marker); Stone from Old Ox Mill (a few steps from this marker); Japanese Model 92 (within shouting distance of this marker); Hall Furniture Building (within shouting distance of this marker); President Roosevelt's Visit to Grayson County (within shouting distance of this marker); World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Eleventh Texas Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Ninth Texas Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Sherman.
Also see . . .
1. Grayson County. (Submitted on April 24, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Grayson County TX Official Website. (Submitted on April 24, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.