“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Fish Market

Fish Market Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 24, 2008
1. Fish Market Marker
Inscription. Baltimore's first fish market stood near the site of this structure as searly as 1773. The first market building, Centre Market, was authorized by act of the State legislature in 1784. It was also known as Marsh Market since it was built on Thomas Harrison's marsh. Throughout the nineteenth century, market merchants sold dry goods, horses and fresh fruits and getetables. Slave auctions were also held here.

In 1851 what was perhaps America's finest market-type assembly hall was built here between Baltimore and Water Streets to house the Maryland Institute. Presidents Pierce and Fillmore were nominated at national political conventions held here. President Lincoln delivered his famous Liberty Speech here on April 18, 1864, three years after the Pratt Street Riots. The Maryland Institute was destroyed in the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904.

The marketplace was expanded in the rebuilding that followed the Fire. Built in 1907, the current structure served as Baltimore's wholesale Fish Market. It was one of three market buildings erected in a row, all designed by architects Otto Simonson and Theodore Wells Pietsch. The others housed Baltimore's retail and wholesale produce markets. The Fish Market thrived for almost a century before it closed in 1984 when Maryland Wholesale Seafood Center opened in Jessup, Maryland.

In 1997 the Mayor and City Council of Baltimore granted the Baltimore Children's Museum a 100-year lease on the Fish Market, to establish one of the nation's largest children's museums, Port Discovery.
Erected by the City of Baltimore, Baltimore City Heritage Area, Martin O'Malley, mayor.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
Location. 39° 17.347′ N, 76° 36.398′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker can be reached from Water Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baltimore's Great Fire (here, next to this marker); Baltimore Police Department (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cast-Iron Fašade (about 500 feet away); 9 North Front Street (about 600 feet away); Carroll Mansion (about 600 feet away); In Memorial (about 700 feet away); Phoenix Shot Tower (about 700 feet away); First Baptist Church, Baltimore (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. Notable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,019 times since then and 94 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement