“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jemez Pueblo in Sandoval County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)

Pueblo of Jémez

Pueblo of Jémez Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 25, 2014
1. Pueblo of Jémez Marker
Inscription. Jémez is the sole surviving pueblo of the seven in the “provencia de los Hemes” noted by Spaniards in 1541, and the last at which the Towa language is still spoken. In 1838, the remaining inhabitants of Pecos Pueblo moved here. The mission of San Diego de Jémez was last rebuilt in the 1880s.
Location. 35° 38.644′ N, 106° 43.484′ W. Marker is in Jemez Pueblo, New Mexico, in Sandoval County. Marker is on State Highway 4. Click for map. It is across from Jemez Pueblo visitor’s center. Marker is in this post office area: Jemez Pueblo NM 87024, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Evelyn M. Vigil, Phan-Un-Pha-Kee (Young Doe) 1921–1995 (here, next to this marker); Colorado Plateau (approx. 7.6 miles away); Vasquez de Coronado's Route (approx. 9.2 miles away); Jémez State Monument (approx. 9.8 miles away); Pueblo of Zía (approx. 10.3 miles away); Trinidad Gachupin Medina (ca. 1883-1964) (approx. 10.3 miles away).
Regarding Pueblo of Jémez. History of Pueblo Jémez: “Our people experienced their first contact with Europeans in the form of Spanish conquistadors in the year of 1541. When the Coronado Expedition entered into the
Pueblo of Jémez Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 25, 2014
2. Pueblo of Jémez Marker
The visitor’s center is across the road in the background.
area, exactly 40 peaceful years went by before contact between the two groups was experienced again. The Rodríguez-Chamuscado Expedition entered the area in 1581, followed by the Espejo Expedition in 1583. In the year 1598, a detachment of the first colonized expedition under the direction of Don Juan de Onate visited the Jemez. A Franciscan priest by the title of Alonzo de Lugo was assigned to our people and he had our people build the area's first church at the Jemez Pueblo of Guisewa (now Jemez State Monument on State Highway 4 in Jemez Springs). According to our intricate oral history, as well as early written Spanish records (Espejo Expedition 1583), the Jemez nation contained an estimated 30,000 tribal members around the time of the Spanish contact, indicating that the population of the Cańon de San Diego was probably three times larger than what it is today. Unfortunately, the peace between our differing cultures did not last long and the Jemez population soon became decimated as a result of warfare and diseases introduced by the Europeans.”
Categories. Native Americans
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 254 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement