Homestead in Miami-Dade County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Hotel Redland
City of Homestead Historic Landmark
This building, built by W.D. Horne as the Homestead Inn, was originally constructed in 1904 and reconstructed several times after that. It served as a supply store and rooming house as well as the first post office. Following a devastating fire in 1913 it was rebuilt in 1914 as a hotel and renamed the Hotel Redland in 1934. The building reflects the early wood frame vernacular architectural style.
Erected 1997 by City of Homestead Historic Preservation Board.
Location. 25° 28.183′ N, 80° 28.557′ W. Marker is in Homestead, Florida, in Miami-Dade County. Marker is at the intersection of South Flagler Avenue and East Mowry Drive, on the right when traveling north on South Flagler Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 S Flagler Ave, Homestead FL 33030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Redland District (within shouting distance of this marker); Landmark Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Seminole Theater (about 500 feet away); Historic Town Hall First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dr. James Archer Smith House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lindeman-Johnson House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Homestead.
Also see . . . Hotel Redland - History in the making. (Submitted on April 28, 2014.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.