“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Davis in Jeff Davis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Old Fort Davis CSA

Old Fort Davis CSA Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
1. Old Fort Davis CSA Marker
Inscription. Confederate supply point and frontier outpost on great military road from San Antonio to El Paso 1861-62. After surrendered by U. S. Army, occupied by detachment 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles. Apaches ambushed patrol from fort under Lt. Mays in Big Bend area August 1861. Used by Texas Confederate troops en route to and from New Mexico-Arizona campaign to stop flow of Gold to North and gain access to Pacific. Two cannons buried nearby on return have never been found. Occupied briefly California Union Cavalry, August 1862. A memorial to Texans who served the Confederacy.
Erected 1963 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 10482.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road marker series.
Location. 30° 35.325′ N, 103° 53.689′ W. Marker is in Fort Davis, Texas, in Jeff Davis County. Marker is on State Street (Texas Route 118) 0.8 miles west of Court Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. The memorial/historical marker is on the northwest corner of the Jeff Davis county courthouse lawn. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Davis TX 79734, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. T/SGT. Manuel S. Gonzales (here, next to this marker);
Old Fort Davis CSA image. Click for full size.
By Zacharias Beau T, May 25, 2011
2. Old Fort Davis CSA
The Old Fort Davis CSA memorial/historical marker on the northeast lawn of the Jeff Davis courthouse.
Jeff Davis County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate President Jefferson Davis (within shouting distance of this marker); Hotel Limpia (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jeff Davis County Jail (about 300 feet away); Union Mercantile (about 300 feet away); Jeff Davis County (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church of Fort Davis (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Davis.
More about this marker. The long sided pentagon and Texas pink granite are characteristic of hundreds of Confederate memorial/historical markers on courthouse lawns in the state.
Regarding Old Fort Davis CSA. Fort Davis was created almost a decade before the Confederate States. Some locals in Fort Davis with divided loyalties will point out that the frontier post was not named for Jefferson Davis the Confederate commander in chief but Jefferson Davis, US Secretary of War. Not only was Fort Davis established by the future president but it was an accustomed post for the Second US Cavalry. Robert E Lee, future general in chief of the Confederate Army, was second in command.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Additional keywords. Jeff Davis, Jefferson Davis, Davis Mountains
Categories. Patriots & PatriotismSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. This page has been viewed 600 times since then and 91 times this year. Last updated on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.   2. submitted on , by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement